Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 3

Below are some items that were sent in to me, I know the answer for number
11 but not for the other two.

10. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three
threaded compartments with a lid, two compartments were full of grease.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10b.jpg

11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic11a.jpg

12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,
3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter, with
sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with set screw
to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right riser, small
hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic12.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

11 - guessing: a chemist's or pharmacist's scoop, for scooping small
amounts of product for mixing with another or putting on a scale for
measuring exact amount
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H." wrote:
11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic11a.jpg

Apple corers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
[...]

12 is probably used in clock wheel repair work; I'm assuming that there
are holes in the pointed ends of the rods. The hook is for securing
the wheel in one position while work is being done at one part of the
wheel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2010-08-14, Rob H. wrote:
Below are some items that were sent in to me, I know the answer for number
11 but not for the other two.

10. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three
threaded compartments with a lid, two compartments were full of grease.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10b.jpg

Hmm ... two full of grease -- both the same type, or some
difference between them? And the third was totally empty and clean?

At a guess, it could have been a portable maintenance kit for
something with bearings. Knowing more about the types of grease might
help.

11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic11a.jpg

For planting seeds or small bulbs?

12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,
3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter, with
sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with set screw
to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right riser, small
hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic12.jpg

Terrible photo.

Given that the hooked device is described as a blade of some
sort, it is some kind of minimal hand-powered lathe. At a guess, for
truing the wheels for something like the wooden block race cars made by
scouts and the like. (I forget the name of these cars but they are
fairly common at certain times of the year.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 11:08*am, "Rob H." wrote:

10. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three
threaded compartments with a lid

I'd guess a maintenance kit for an outdoor item; probably
a rifle or shotgun, which has a compartment in the stock to clip
this little gizmo in place

12. *The owner's description: It's made of solid brass...
hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear

Maybe a holder for spooling thread onto a bobbin? The hooked
blade would be used to snip the thread when you have enough
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,
3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter,
with sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with
set screw to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right
riser, small hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear
of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic12.jpg

12 is probably used in clock wheel repair work; I'm assuming that there
are holes in the pointed ends of the rods. The hook is for securing
the wheel in one position while work is being done at one part of the
wheel.

I sent an email to the owner of it asking if there are holes in the pointed
rods but haven't heard back yet.

Others have guessed apple corer and chemist scoop for number 11, neither of
these is correct although the word scoop is part of the right answer.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After
further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?
-, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table...
part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
[...]

11 is a marrow scoop.
EdR
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After
further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?
-, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table...
part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.

Sonny

Your first guess is closer, it's for use at the table but not for tea, sugar
or salt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic11a.jpg

11 is a marrow scoop.
EdR

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After
further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?
-, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table...
part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.

Sonny

Your first guess is closer, it's for use at the table but not for tea,
sugar or salt.

Similar items are called cheese scoops, but some made about 1805 were
called butter scoops.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2010 10:45 PM, Sonny wrote:
Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After
further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?

Dining is correct. These are marrow spoons.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:56:13 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

11 is a marrow scoop.
EdR

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.

Watermelon?
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:08:18 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

[...]

10 looks like choke tubes for a Shot Gun ( are they marked full, mod
or improved?)

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 10:34*pm, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
*William Bagwell wrote:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:56:13 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

11 is a marrow scoop.
EdR

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.

Watermelon?

Grapefruit spoon?

Nah, those are marrow spoons

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"J Burns" wrote in message
Rob H. wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After
further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?
-, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table...
part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.

Sonny

Your first guess is closer, it's for use at the table but not for tea,
sugar or salt.

Similar items are called cheese scoops, but some made about 1805 were
called butter scoops.

Cheese scoops is correct, more specifically stilton cheese scoops, as seen
in these images:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Concerning the mold from Thursday's set, the owner of it said he will try to
cast a piece from it with either babbet or solder. Not sure if he has a
digital camera or not, if so I'll see if he can send some photos.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

10 looks like choke tubes for a Shot Gun ( are they marked full, mod
or improved?)

I asked the owner about text on it, here is the reply:

"The top third has the letters "Chr" on it - what I would call old school
writing loopy with the 'r' done the way the French would do it. The second
third looks like it has "lat" on it and the last third looks like 'Info' -
all a bit strange."

Also I should mention that these photos were sent in from England.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
William Bagwell wrote:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 04:56:13 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

11 is a marrow scoop.
EdR

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.

Watermelon?

Grapefruit spoon?

has one serrated edge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Guessing:

10 - Maybe part of an old (since it isn't decorative) swing-bar
assembly of a casket handle, that, for some reason, has been removed,
broke off, fell off?

http://www.geneva-mfg.com/swing/tigeren.gif

Googling "casket hardware" --- sites --- several pics of various
hardware with somewhat similar (?) round/rod parts: Tips,
escutcheons, hinge caps, but nothing exactly as pictured in the
initial post. http://sterlingcaskethardware.com/products8.php

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,
3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter,
with sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with
set screw to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right
riser, small hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear
of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic12.jpg

12 is probably used in clock wheel repair work; I'm assuming that there
are holes in the pointed ends of the rods. ..

I heard back from the owner of this device, they said that the ends of the
rods are sharp points.

Rob