Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Weekend Edition 3

On 2010-08-14, Rob H. wrote:
Below are some items that were sent in to me, I know the answer for number
11 but not for the other two.

10. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three
threaded compartments with a lid, two compartments were full of grease.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic10b.jpg

Hmm ... two full of grease -- both the same type, or some
difference between them? And the third was totally empty and clean?

At a guess, it could have been a portable maintenance kit for
something with bearings. Knowing more about the types of grease might
help.

11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m11/pic11a.jpg

For planting seeds or small bulbs?

12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,
3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter, with
sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with set screw
to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right riser, small
hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...um11/pic12.jpg

Terrible photo.

Given that the hooked device is described as a blade of some
sort, it is some kind of minimal hand-powered lathe. At a guess, for
truing the wheels for something like the wooden block race cars made by
scouts and the like. (I forget the name of these cars but they are
fairly common at certain times of the year.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564