Posted to rec.woodworking

Default removable workbench top

I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Barry von Tobel" wrote in message ...
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Did that with small copper screws counter-sink around the perimeter.

Easy to install and totally removable.

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Double back carpet tape with a few brads if the tempered hardboard lifts
around the edges.

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd think rubber cement would work. When you want it up - use a heater iron
or clothes iron to heat and soften the glue - so it releases.

Martin

Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

As Doug suggested, double backed tape.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:19*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

As Doug suggested, double backed tape.

Lew

What? No solution involving epoxy? :-) Actually I agree with Doug and
Lew: carpet tape and brads or even brass screws if it lifts around the
edges.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Barry von Tobel" wrote in message
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

I have done what PDQ said. Counter sunk flat head screws a few thousands
below surface. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:30*pm, Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. *Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

How about attaching a small ridge of trim around the edge of the bench
that is the same height as the Masonite thickness. You could just
drop the sheet in the recessed area and lift it out for replacement or
cleaning. I have a small version of this in the top of my home made
drill press table. I left a couple of finger indents at the edges and
when it gets buggered up, I replace it.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have this same on several work tables with 1/8" hardboard. I just
drop a few screws around the edges and a few out in the middle. I
rarely have a problem with it lifting up. I typically either clamp my
work down to the table as I work on it or whatever is sitting on the
table is heavy enough to flatten it anywhere it is "puffing" up
although I never really see it lift up anywhere even with tiny work
pieces.

On Oct 7, 6:30*pm, Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. *Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Not an adhesive, but one way is to put a border of say 1" X 1/4" hardwood
strips around the circumference of the table top, then cut the masonite
to size so it drops in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Not an adhesive, but one way is to put a border of say 1" X 1/4" hardwood
strips around the circumference of the table top, then cut the masonite
to size so it drops in.

My benches have a 3/4" x 1-1/2" band nailed/glued to 3/4" MDF on either
side of the RAS. The banding is set 1/4" above the MDF. The tempered
hardboard was set and J-rollered with double back carpet tape. The
edges still lifted, even after a few days being weighted down. A few
brads and all is well - been fine for about 6 years. I like Lew's idea
of a thin border of epoxy on the underside of the tempered hardboard so
the tape will take better and eliminate any brads/screws.

Tempered hardboard with several coats of poly is a tough surface and
great for not having glue-ups permanently stick.

- Doug

removable rockers Andy Woodworking 4 September 2nd 06 11:43 AM
removable banisters [email protected] UK diy 4 April 26th 06 07:35 PM
Removable Second Window [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 19th 05 06:02 AM
Removable windows schmultzburger Home Repair 6 May 13th 05 09:43 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM