Posted to rec.woodworking

Default removable rockers

I'm working on a mission style rocking chair, and I'm trying to figure
out whether it's feasable to make the rockers removable. (It would
then fit relatively easily in the back seat of a normal car, which
would be nice, since I'm planning on driving it from NY to MI at
Christmas, and it will probably be moved several times after that.)
Rockers and legs are red oak, about 1.5" square in cross section.
My ideas so far:
1. Use cross dowels (aka barrel nuts?), with a bolt up through the
rocker into the cross dowel which is inside each leg. Inserted from
the back, cross dowel should be minimally visible, or could be
countersunk and plugged (plug not glued). Any sources for larger (i.e.
3/8-16) cross dowels? I found some at Woodpeck.com, but they seem
overpriced. Rockler, Woodcraft, etc. only seem to have 1/4-20, which
would work, but I like to overdesign things whenever possible...
2. Make tenons on the ends of each leg, which go through (or most of
the way through) the rockers, then pin them in with 3/8" wood dowels
through the sides of the rockers (not glued). I like the simplicity
and lack of hardware with this option, but I imagine the dowel might
loosen itself up over time.
3. Threaded inserts in ends of legs - I don't like this idea very much,
as it relies on holding power of threads in end grain, even if they are
large threads. Fine for a while, I'm sure, but I'm really intending
this to be an heirloom-quality piece. I'm ruling out simple wood
screws altogether for this reason.

What do you think? Other ideas? Comments/criticisms/advice? Should I
forget it and glue in good-ol' M&T joints?
Thanks much,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
I'm working on a mission style rocking chair, and I'm trying to figure
out whether it's feasable to make the rockers removable.

The prospect of loose joints at the rockers, which are under high
stress,
is disturbing. I'd want those tenoned and glued.

How about the undercarriage attachment point to the seat? If you're
using
wedged through tenons, consider wedging from below (i.e. drive in a
tapered
wedge at 45 degrees, from below the seat into each of the support
posts). That way,
it won't come loose in use (you're sittiing on the seat, it won't rise
off the
posts), and it can be disassembled by gently hammering the wedges from
above. There will be a clearance slot on the underside of the seat, as
the wedge enters
from off-axis, but no other visible disturbance to the design.
Probably you'd need to
replace the wedges with new ones to reassemble, and of course the new
wedges will need to be cut flush after assembly.

Tricky part will be to saw the correct shape slot in the tenon, which
you want to tighten at the top face first.

You could also make access from below to the wedge (cut a mortise
at right angles, so a taper driven into the mortise pushes up a
conventional
wedge), and skip the diagonal cutting. The wedge would have to be
thick enough to be driven from its tip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Sep 2006 09:04:07 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

I'm working on a mission style rocking chair, and I'm trying to figure
out whether it's feasable to make the rockers removable. (It would
then fit relatively easily in the back seat of a normal car, which
would be nice, since I'm planning on driving it from NY to MI at
Christmas, and it will probably be moved several times after that.)
Rockers and legs are red oak, about 1.5" square in cross section.
My ideas so far:

2. Make tenons on the ends of each leg, which go through (or most of
the way through) the rockers, then pin them in with 3/8" wood dowels
through the sides of the rockers (not glued). I like the simplicity
and lack of hardware with this option, but I imagine the dowel might
loosen itself up over time.

Seems like a good application for a dovetail to me. The forces are
only in one direction, so a dovetail is not going to come apart even
without glue. I don't think the joint is going to get loose from
being taken apart half a dozen times.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:
Seems like a good application for a dovetail to me. The forces are
only in one direction, so a dovetail is not going to come apart even
without glue. I don't think the joint is going to get loose from
being taken apart half a dozen times.

I like it... I like it a lot. As long as the dovetails are tight
enough to hold, but loose enough to tap apart. I'll definitely
consider that - thanks for your input!
Anything else I haven't thought of?
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
Leuf wrote:
Seems like a good application for a dovetail to me. The forces are
only in one direction, so a dovetail is not going to come apart even
without glue. I don't think the joint is going to get loose from
being taken apart half a dozen times.

I like it... I like it a lot. As long as the dovetails are tight
enough to hold, but loose enough to tap apart. I'll definitely
consider that - thanks for your input!
Anything else I haven't thought of?

On the dovetail, I'm guessing you'll cut a single tail on the end of
the leg, which will slide laterally into a pin cut into the rocker - a
short sliding dovetail. Stopped on one side? I'm a little worried
about the effect of rocking on the joint. I think that the forces are
a bit more varied than just straight compression. Will you pin it into
place?

I'm definitely intriqued by the idea. Let us know what you go with.

JP