Mr Fizzion

Default Removable tiled panel in bathroom

I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

Obviously the water pipes need to be connected to the shower behind
the tiled panel. If I ever need to replace the shower I will need
access to the fittings behind the panel.

I can't think of the best way to create a removable panel so that I
can have access to the shower connections. Obviously the seal round
any panel will need to be waterproof.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mr F.

news

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

Obviously the water pipes need to be connected to the shower behind
the tiled panel. If I ever need to replace the shower I will need
access to the fittings behind the panel.

I can't think of the best way to create a removable panel so that I
can have access to the shower connections. Obviously the seal round
any panel will need to be waterproof.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mr F.

aquapanel, covered in tiles, fixed with velcro and sealed with
a very thin bead of silicone sealant ?

just a thunk ...

Lobster

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

Obviously the water pipes need to be connected to the shower behind
the tiled panel. If I ever need to replace the shower I will need
access to the fittings behind the panel.

You posted about this same project a few days ago, right? If this is
the same scenario, why can't the access panel be in the side of the
boxing, which wouldn't need to be waterproof? I'm assuming by "1 tile
deep" they are biggish tiles, not tiny ones?

In my setup (described in the response to your previous post) I tiled
the front (on an Aquapanel base) and nailed 6mm WBP ply down the side,
leaving one section removable (at shower gubbins height) and fixed with
domed mirror screws. The cavity is just big enough to get my arm in.

David
Mr Fizzion

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:59:25 GMT, Lobster
wrote:
In my setup (described in the response to your previous post) I tiled
the front (on an Aquapanel base) and nailed 6mm WBP ply down the side,
leaving one section removable (at shower gubbins height) and fixed with
domed mirror screws. The cavity is just big enough to get my arm in.

Thanks - the mirror screws sound like quite a good idea though I like
the velcro idea too! :-)

Mr F.

David Lang

"Mr Fizzion" wrote in message
I can't think of the best way to create a removable panel so that I
can have access to the shower connections. Obviously the seal round
any panel will need to be waterproof.

Magnets? You can get really strong magnetic catches.

Dave

John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

In my setup (described in the response to your previous post) I tiled
the front (on an Aquapanel base) and nailed 6mm WBP ply down the side,
leaving one section removable (at shower gubbins height) and fixed with
domed mirror screws. The cavity is just big enough to get my arm in.

Or an extension of that idea... make the boxed in section about a foot
deep and build a small airing cupboard into it with a door at the edge.

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:56:19 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Mr Fizzion
wrote:

I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

Obviously the water pipes need to be connected to the shower behind
the tiled panel. If I ever need to replace the shower I will need
access to the fittings behind the panel.

I can't think of the best way to create a removable panel so that I
can have access to the shower connections. Obviously the seal round
any panel will need to be waterproof.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If the shower is on a dividing wall between two rooms you could make the
access panel in the adjacent room. I'm about to do this in our bathroom
where the guts of the shower will be embedded in the partition wall and
accessed from a panel in from the 'landing' side of the wall.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
The Natural Philosopher

Mr Fizzion wrote:

I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

Obviously the water pipes need to be connected to the shower behind
the tiled panel. If I ever need to replace the shower I will need
access to the fittings behind the panel.

I can't think of the best way to create a removable panel so that I
can have access to the shower connections. Obviously the seal round
any panel will need to be waterproof.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mr F.

The cost of implementing such will probably exceed the cost of ripping a
few tiles off if you ever need to access the stuff.

Buy about 30-40 extra tiles, and then simply plaster over everythuing
and tile.

Retile if it ever needs attention.
Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mr Fizzion wrote:

I want to create a tiled box in the bathroom fixed in the corner of
the room. It will be one tile deep, 2.5 m high and around 800mm wide.
Behind it will run a few pipes and fixed to it will be a Grohe wall
mounted shower mixer.

The cost of implementing such will probably exceed the cost of ripping a
few tiles off if you ever need to access the stuff.

Buy about 30-40 extra tiles, and then simply plaster over everythuing
and tile.

Retile if it ever needs attention.

But it's not just about cost though, it's convenience: at the
construction stage it's a trivial matter to implement an access panel
(in the side or back rather than in the spray-facing surface); compared
with ripping down and renewing tiles (and maybe damaging the substrate,
which could need replacing/repairing too?)? All just to replace a seal
maybe? No way!

David