Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default removable workbench top

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Barry von Tobel wrote:
I'd like to put a piece of 1/4" tempered Masonite on my bench, but be
able to remove it. Anybody recommend an adhesive that allows removal?

Not an adhesive, but one way is to put a border of say 1" X 1/4" hardwood
strips around the circumference of the table top, then cut the masonite
to size so it drops in.

My benches have a 3/4" x 1-1/2" band nailed/glued to 3/4" MDF on either
side of the RAS. The banding is set 1/4" above the MDF. The tempered
hardboard was set and J-rollered with double back carpet tape. The
edges still lifted, even after a few days being weighted down. A few
brads and all is well - been fine for about 6 years. I like Lew's idea
of a thin border of epoxy on the underside of the tempered hardboard so
the tape will take better and eliminate any brads/screws.

Tempered hardboard with several coats of poly is a tough surface and
great for not having glue-ups permanently stick.

- Doug