Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Default sharpening center advise

Greetings! I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )
My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710 unit.
I appreciate any input!
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 11:34*pm, wrote:
Greetings! *I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )
My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710 unit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Greetings! I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are
way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now
wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )
My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good
things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710
unit.
I appreciate any input!
Thanks.

The 23-710 is not a good choice. I gave one away to get it out of my shop.
Read the article in the current Fine Woodworking mag. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

I have been pleased with my Tormek system. Sharp edges were hit and miss for
me prior to the Tormek. I'll be ordering the jointer planer jig soon. I also
sharpen all our kitchen knives and scissors with ease. The first time I
washed dishes after sharpening our kitchen knives I brushed against a knife
edge and cut myself! I had never had a knife so sharp.

I am a handyman by trade and the cost of a Tormek was a huge investment for
me. I talked to the manager at my local Woodcraft store and he said he would
refund my money if I was not satisfied. That was 6 years ago and I still
have it.

cm

wrote in message
Greetings! I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are
way too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now
wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )
My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good
things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710
unit.
I appreciate any input!
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

in article 3JzOj.710$XI1.157@edtnps91, lid at
lid wrote on 4/19/08 9:34 PM:

Greetings! I am looking at getting a sharpening set up as dull tools are way
too plentiful here. I have compared water / oil stone sets and am now
wondering about sharpening centers (ie: motor driven )
My question for you is what systems seem too work well? I have heard good
things about the worksharp3000, but am also interested in delta's 23-710 unit.
I appreciate any input!
Thanks.

Preface:

I've got and use india and arkansas stones, japanese waterstones, grinder
with Norton wheels and Wolverine Jig, Tormek with most of the jigs and
shaped leather strop, Jool Tool and WorkSharp 3000 - oh - and a 1" belt
sander sharpener - and slip stones. Not one does EVERYTHING and there are
things none do well enough - for me - like planer/joiner knives.
(go here to see the sharpening station cabinet for all the sharpening
crap I've accumulated)

http://tinyurl.com/3l3ybp

For things with straight, single bevel cutting edges - up to 2" wide,
which covers most handplane irons, bench chisels, butt chisels, turning
gouges and chisels and all outside radius beveled carving chisels and
gouges - I'd recomend the WorkSharp 3000 - with a couple of extra
slotted wheels and an extra glass plate, along with extra abbrassives
for each.

No water and slurry to deal with.
Seldom if ever any flying sparks
Fast enough to regrind a chipped bevel on a 2" wide plane iron
but slow enough to give you time to check how you're doing
BEFORE you've ground 1/8" off your tool - or got a nice skew
edge going. Almost no risk of overheating the tool.
For bevels 20 to 35 degrees it's a no brainer. Set the angle
slide the tool into the holder, tighten the fence and push -
the machine does the rest.
For sharpening curved edge turning and carving tools work
from underneath the slotted wheels. Takes a little bit of
practice - black felt tip the bevel - grind off the "black"
(you can see through the spinning slotted wheel). If you
have even decent eye hand coordination you'll be able to
do it in a few minutes - 15 minutes max.
Relatively small footprint - though not as small as the
JoolTool.

Jigs to use on the Bar Tool Rest are finally starting to
come out, though you CAN make your own out of ply and
some glue

Here's more I put together on the WorkSharp. You can
back up to the all text menu and find the link to
info I did about the JoolTool

http://tinyurl.com/4rut42

Hope this helps.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:52:20 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

SNIP
Jigs to use on the Bar Tool Rest are finally starting to
come out, though you CAN make your own out of ply and
some glue

Charlie:

DAGS didn't find me any jigs for the WS3000. Do you have a reference?

BTW, I agree that it is a quick clean way to get nice sharp edges on
chisels and plane irons. I've not been lucky sharpening knives on it
tho'.

Regards.

Tub/shower faucet with 10" center to center JFM Home Repair 2 October 2nd 05 03:05 PM
Tub advise Sasha Home Repair 5 July 3rd 05 03:42 AM
Lap-Sharp LS-200 horizontal sharpening center? [email protected] Woodworking 16 December 25th 04 05:12 AM
Dead center/live center lathe question R.H. Woodworking 10 October 18th 04 07:32 PM
Advise Max Power Woodworking 48 September 21st 03 12:38 AM