Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Routers - reverse rotation?

Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? Or, does anyone know of a site that
explains how to reverse the running direction of an existing router -
say a PC690?
Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 8:31*am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:46:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? *Or, does anyone know of a site that
explains how to reverse the running direction of an existing router -
say a PC690?

Why? *The cutting edge will face the wrong way.

Some left-hand bits are available, and I'm sure they can be custom
made in about any profile.

If you've got a cool idea based on a reversed router, I'd love to hear
about it!

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing. Specifically, cutting the
left and right door jamb to fit an angled sill. We use one-piece
jambs, with the stops rabbeted in, and it's a bit time consuming to
clamp backer blocks to the potential blow-out areas. My thinking was
that I could start the cut with a right hand bit, and come in from the
other side with a left hand bit.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 2:14*pm, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

Many (most?) routers use universal AC/DC motors, so simply reversing the
field and armature connections (with respect to each other) should make
it spin in the opposite direction. *Reversing the leads to the brushes
would be one way.

That's what I was looking for...

I STRONGLY recommend against trying it, though, as you'd have the
colette tightening in the wrong direction, and its attachment screw also
threaded the wrong way. *Instead of tending to work tighter, it would
tend to work looser. *I do my utmost to avoid having sharp things come
loose while spinning at high speeds.

...and that's an excellent argument against doing so. At this time I
haven't been able to find left-handed bearing-guided bits, although I
could use the available LH straight cutters with a collar. I can get
these from Whiteside et al. This would eliminate the bearing screw
issue, but not the collet.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 11:10 am, Jay Pique wrote:

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing. Specifically, cutting the
left and right door jamb to fit an angled sill. We use one-piece
jambs, with the stops rabbeted in, and it's a bit time consuming to
clamp backer blocks to the potential blow-out areas. My thinking was
that I could start the cut with a right hand bit, and come in from the
other side with a left hand bit.

ISTR that shapers can be run in reverse
and the typical shaper cutter can be turned
upside down to reverse the direction in which
it cuts.

That would allow one to cut mirror image profiles
with the same cutter, though of course you can
do the same thing by flipping the workpiece upside
down.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 3:23*pm, (J T) wrote:
Sat, Mar 1, 2008, 4:46am (EST-3) doth query:
Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? Or, does anyone know of a site that explains
how to reverse the running direction of an existing router - say a
PC690?

* * *First, why would you ask? *You in a backward country or sumpthing?

Nope, I'm right here in the US of A.

JP
*******************
Forward?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:
Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? Or, does anyone know of a site that
explains how to reverse the running direction of an existing router -
say a PC690?
Thanks.

JP

I'd be leary of reversing the direction of an existing router. I believe
the collet would loosen if the shaft turned opposite the normal
direction.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:10:43 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing.

What about the bits with bearings on both ends?

Switch from top to bottom pattern in seconds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing.

What about the bits with bearings on both ends?

Switch from top to bottom pattern in seconds.

That's definitely an option. It just seems like it'd be so nice to be
able to set up your template once, clamp your workpiece once, and just
grab the router you need at the time. Especially for larger pieces.
Now it's a mission to find one!

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing.

What about the bits with bearings on both ends?

Switch from top to bottom pattern in seconds.

That's definitely an option. It just seems like it'd be so nice to be
able to set up your template once, clamp your workpiece once, and just
grab the router you need at the time. Especially for larger pieces.
Now it's a mission to find one!

On that note, you could also equip one router with a top bearing and the
other with a bottom. You'd still have to unclamp, but you have to
switch routers anyway.

Clamping can be made faster with holdfasts, wedges, or quick clamps.