Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Powermatic 4224 spindle rotation in reverse order???

HELP !!! I'm new to woodturning. After a few lessons and attending a
woodturning symposium I got hooked. One of my lessons was on a Powermatic
4224. A great tool compared to the old 11" Rockwell that I have been using,
so I ordered the Powermatic 4224. I finally received my brand new lathe,
but to my dismay there were two problems.

1. When I turn on the lathe, the spindle of the lathe turns counter
clockwise, but the Inverter's LED Status Display shows the lathe's spindle
turning in a reverse status. When I switch the Fwd/Rev Switch into the
opposite direction, the spindle of the lathe turns clockwise, but the
Inverter's LED Status Display shows the lathe's spindle turning in a
forward status.

I think the spindle rotation direction is faulty. When the spindle is in a
counter-clock rotation the Inverter LED Status Display should show the lathe
is in a forward Status. Would you consider this an accurate statement?
I don't know how serious a problem this could be, but considering the cost
of this lathe I would like to have it working correctly.

2. The Speed Indicator Sensor that displays the RPM on the headstock was
loose, resulting in a zero LED reading on the headstock.

Through trail and error I adjusted the sensor to a clearance of about 1/16th
of an inch. I now get an RPM reading on the LED, but it would be nice to
know the correct gage clearance.

I have been told by the Technician that I can use the lathe in this
conditions, but I'm anxious to correct these problems. I'm patiently
awaiting a Technician to come and look at my lathe. As this is my 4th week
waiting, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from you to help me
resolve these problems.

Thank you very much,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Alika Lincoln wrote:
HELP !!! I'm new to woodturning. After a few lessons and attending a
woodturning symposium I got hooked. One of my lessons was on a Powermatic
4224. A great tool compared to the old 11" Rockwell that I have been using,
so I ordered the Powermatic 4224. I finally received my brand new lathe,
but to my dismay there were two problems.

-snip

Thank you very much,
Alex

That's the problem with those off brand machines. Ya shudda stuck with
Harbor Fright.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You will have a 3 Phase Motor driven from the Inverter with these Motors you
can change the Rotation by changing any two wires over.

Should be worth a try, you cannot do any damage just swap two wires round
either at the Inverter or at the Motor.

RVS

"Alika Lincoln" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Richard, thank you for your response. I did try switching the Fwd and Rev
wires in the Inverter but it did not work. I will have to be patient and
wait for a technician to come and make the correction. Thank you for your
help
"Richard Stapley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Alika Lincoln" wrote: I did try switching the Fwd and Rev wires in the
Inverter but it did not work.(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. Switch any two (of the three) motor wires.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Leo, thank you for your follow up. Switching the two wires at the motor did
the trick. I should have followed Richard suggestion and tried both ways.
Much thanks to both of you.
Alika Lincoln
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Alika Lincoln" wrote: I did try switching the Fwd and Rev wires in the
Inverter but it did not work.(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. Switch any two (of the three) motor wires.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

There will be a fourth motor wire -- the ground. Leave it alone but, as
Leo says, switch any two of the three live wires either in the motor
electrical box or at the vfd.

Bill

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Alika Lincoln" wrote: I did try switching the Fwd and Rev wires in the
Inverter but it did not work.(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. Switch any two (of the three) motor wires.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill, thank you for your input. I'm pleased to say my lathe's spindle
direction correlates with the status direction on the inverter. Thanks to
this great woodturning-newsgroup and it's awesome participants.
Thank you.....Alika
t...

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Alika Lincoln" wrote: I did try switching the Fwd and Rev wires in
the Inverter but it did not work.(clip)

No. Switch any two (of the three) motor wires.

FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, K.O. Lee Index Disc and other metalworking items on Ebay [email protected] Metalworking 88 April 17th 06 07:15 AM
Clausing spindle bearings-help! Terry Keeley Metalworking 65 December 11th 05 05:26 PM
18 tpi? Doug Goncz Metalworking 4 December 8th 04 05:08 AM
Delta Midi--How difficult to reverse rotation golf Woodturning 2 October 13th 04 01:55 PM
Kelton Balancer Review Draft--long Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 0 October 29th 03 04:44 AM