Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Routers - reverse rotation?

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 8:31 am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:46:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? Or, does anyone know of a site that
explains how to reverse the running direction of an existing router -
say a PC690?

Why? The cutting edge will face the wrong way.

Some left-hand bits are available, and I'm sure they can be custom
made in about any profile.

If you've got a cool idea based on a reversed router, I'd love to hear
about it!

There are certain applications where it would be nice to not have to
worry about blow-out when template routing. Specifically, cutting the
left and right door jamb to fit an angled sill. We use one-piece
jambs, with the stops rabbeted in, and it's a bit time consuming to
clamp backer blocks to the potential blow-out areas. My thinking was
that I could start the cut with a right hand bit, and come in from the
other side with a left hand bit.

Spiral?