Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Routers - reverse rotation?

On Mar 1, 2:14*pm, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

Many (most?) routers use universal AC/DC motors, so simply reversing the
field and armature connections (with respect to each other) should make
it spin in the opposite direction. *Reversing the leads to the brushes
would be one way.

That's what I was looking for...

I STRONGLY recommend against trying it, though, as you'd have the
colette tightening in the wrong direction, and its attachment screw also
threaded the wrong way. *Instead of tending to work tighter, it would
tend to work looser. *I do my utmost to avoid having sharp things come
loose while spinning at high speeds.

...and that's an excellent argument against doing so. At this time I
haven't been able to find left-handed bearing-guided bits, although I
could use the available LH straight cutters with a collar. I can get
these from Whiteside et al. This would eliminate the bearing screw
issue, but not the collet.

JP