Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Erickson Andrew Erickson is offline

Default Routers - reverse rotation?

In article ,
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote:

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:46:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Are there commercially available hand-held routers that run backwards
from the normal direction? Or, does anyone know of a site that
explains how to reverse the running direction of an existing router -
say a PC690?

Many (most?) routers use universal AC/DC motors, so simply reversing the
field and armature connections (with respect to each other) should make
it spin in the opposite direction. Reversing the leads to the brushes
would be one way.

I STRONGLY recommend against trying it, though, as you'd have the
colette tightening in the wrong direction, and its attachment screw also
threaded the wrong way. Instead of tending to work tighter, it would
tend to work looser. I do my utmost to avoid having sharp things come
loose while spinning at high speeds.

Why? The cutting edge will face the wrong way.

Quite true, at least in the general case. I was assuming the original
poster had some strange backwards bits lying around.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot