Machinist's Dye?

Old November 26th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Machinist's Dye?

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

It comes in blue, purple, red, green and black...

I forget where it was available (some have posted good links) but I
personally use a black permanent marker these days and then acetone or
alchohol to remove it when done.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Old November 26th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Sat, Nov 24, 2007, 10:02am (EST-3) (Ron
Hock)
first did scribe:;
spaco wrote:
snip I have often wondered why one couldn't just get a tube of
prussian blue oil paint, instead.
Then did also scribe::
snip And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that
some brands have more pigment.

My old man was a tool maker. I never heard him mention
"anything" besides Prussian Blue for laying out, etc. Apparently it
was the standard back then. Probably cheap, available, and worked.
I'd been wonddering if anyone was gonna mention it. I'm with you
tho, I think markers are the way to go - they're even available in
the corner grocery store, in various colors, tip styles, mark on
about anything, are inexpensive, and work.

Prussian Blue is a pigment that can be used in paints, inks, and other
carriers or as a dry powder by itself. Calling something "Prussian
Blue" doesn't tell you a lot--in machine shop practice its used in oil
for checking interferences and in alcohol for layout, and in art it
may be used in other formulations. It's famous mainly because it was
the first widely available colorfast blue pigment to become available,
in the early 1800s.

Markers may be OK for showing scribed lines, but they aren't so good
for showing interferences. And have you ever tried to get dried
marker off of anodized aluminum?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)