Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Machinist's Dye?

J T wrote:
Mon, Nov 26, 2007, 11:17am (J. Clarke) doth
query:
snip And have you ever tried to get dried marker off of anodized
aluminum?

No problem. The magic stuff is called paint. LMAO As you
may
have guessed, I'm not much for fancy. But, in real-life, if I
actually was to mark on anodized aluminum, and wanted to protect the
finish, I'd probably use masking tape, and mark on that. More
likely, I'd never have any in the first place.

One time the Materials Lab at Enormous Aerospace spent three weeks
trying to get marker off an anodized aluminum part needed for a dog
and pony show. IIRC they finally stripped it and reanodized (you can
do things like that at Enormous Aerospace).

Using masking tape and marking on that defeats the purpose of using
layout fluid.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)