Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Machinist's Dye?

I use both red and blue layout dye, but you can use a felt tip marker
just as well. If you are going to use the dye for scribing lines, etc.,
then that is what you need.
But, if you are using it to test a fit or to test flatness, you need
"High Spot Blue" which is a blue paste that comes in a little tube,
like toothpaste. MSC has that. I have often wondered why one couldn't
just get a tube of prussian blue oil paint, instead.

Not a pro machinist,
Pete Stanaitis

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!