Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeWalt cordless drill motor brushes

One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I
should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and
has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are
not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had
to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the
symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does
it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

Thanks!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

B A R R Y wrote:
One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I
should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and
has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are
not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had
to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the
symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does
it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

Yep...you have now observes the classic symptoms.

I'd recommend checking them asap if you like the drill to make sure they
aren't so worn down that the holders are eating up the armature or new
brushes won't last 'cause they'll get chewed up...

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts,
does it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

If you haven't already, consider looking on eBay for a drill body
(tool only). Many of them will only cost about $40 (US) new.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I
should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and
has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are
not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had
to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the
symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does
it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

YES and NO.

Yes, you need replacement brushes.

No, I wouldn't do it my self, take it to a service center.

Replacing brushes on small hand tools can be a real PITA.

DAMHIKT

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:45:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Yep...you have now observes the classic symptoms.

I'd recommend checking them asap if you like the drill to make sure they
aren't so worn down that the holders are eating up the armature or new
brushes won't last 'cause they'll get chewed up...

Thanks!

Will do. I really like this drill It's a 14.4v, with plenty of
power, not too heavy, great balance, the buttons are where I would
have put them... overall a favorite. I'd really miss it if it were
gone.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 04:34:22 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

No, I wouldn't do it my self, take it to a service center.

Replacing brushes on small hand tools can be a real PITA.

I took a look, removing 1/2 of the body shell, and you're absolutely
right. While I was there, I noticed the commutator is pretty shot.

An eBay body might be the economical way to go.

She's been a good companion...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:45:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Yep...you have now observes the classic symptoms.

I'd recommend checking them asap if you like the drill to make sure they
aren't so worn down that the holders are eating up the armature or new
brushes won't last 'cause they'll get chewed up...

Thanks!

Will do. I really like this drill It's a 14.4v, with plenty of
power, not too heavy, great balance, the buttons are where I would
have put them... overall a favorite. I'd really miss it if it were
gone.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Which 14.4V DeWalt are you looking for? I've got a DeWalt DW996 14.4
drill motor and charger with two dead batteries.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:02:29 GMT, Nova wrote:

Which 14.4V DeWalt are you looking for? I've got a DeWalt DW996 14.4
drill motor and charger with two dead batteries.

It's a DW928.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **