Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default DeWalt cordless drill motor brushes

B A R R Y wrote:
One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I
should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and
has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are
not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had
to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the
symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does
it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

Yep...you have now observes the classic symptoms.

I'd recommend checking them asap if you like the drill to make sure they
aren't so worn down that the holders are eating up the armature or new
brushes won't last 'cause they'll get chewed up...