Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default DeWalt cordless drill motor brushes

B A R R Y wrote:
One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I
should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and
has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are
not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had
to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the
symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does
it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

YES and NO.

Yes, you need replacement brushes.

No, I wouldn't do it my self, take it to a service center.

Replacing brushes on small hand tools can be a real PITA.

DAMHIKT

Lew