Leon

Default The new DeWalt Portable Planer

I just read an article in Wood magazine. It tested the Grizzly, Jet , and
DeWalt portable planers. The DeWalt is the new one that has been talked
about here. It looks more like the stationary style planer. Has 3 blades
instead of the normal 2, and has 2 speeds. Like the new Delta, apparently
the DeWalt produces a marginal advantage with using the slower planer speed
as the fast speed is slow enough to begin with. It also has an automatic
cutter head lock and apparently produces no snipe, none, zip, unless you are
hogging off a lot of wood. The planer uses disposable blades. Apparently
it quite loud and weighs almost 100 lbs. Oh yeah, its color is still Yella.

Now a question from me. I have been using a portable planer for about 15
years that uses HSS blades that can be resharpened. For those of you that
have the disposable blades, how long do they last before having to buy a new
set?

tnfkajs

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .
I just read an article in Wood magazine. It tested the Grizzly, Jet , and
DeWalt portable planers. The DeWalt is the new one that has been talked
about here. It looks more like the stationary style planer. Has 3 blades

Looked pretty sweet. Out'a the box solution. Might just be my first portable
planer purchase!
They also mentioned they made some minor mods to the venerable 733 (3
blades) and call it the 734.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:21:42 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I just read an article in Wood magazine. It tested the Grizzly, Jet , and
DeWalt portable planers. The DeWalt is the new one that has been talked
about here. It looks more like the stationary style planer. Has 3 blades
instead of the normal 2, and has 2 speeds. Like the new Delta, apparently
the DeWalt produces a marginal advantage with using the slower planer speed
as the fast speed is slow enough to begin with. It also has an automatic
cutter head lock and apparently produces no snipe, none, zip, unless you are
hogging off a lot of wood. The planer uses disposable blades. Apparently
it quite loud and weighs almost 100 lbs. Oh yeah, its color is still Yella.

I have a 733, and I really can't imagine the results much better. A
quick scrape or sanding with 150 grit and the planer evidence is gone.
I can't wait to see some wood run though the new model.

An automatic cutter lock would be nice though. The 733's lock works
great, but automatic would make the unit even faster to use.

Barry
Leon

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...

I have a 733, and I really can't imagine the results much better. A
quick scrape or sanding with 150 grit and the planer evidence is gone.
I can't wait to see some wood run though the new model.

The 2 speed is great with the floor model planers where they move the wood
much faster and hog off wood in the 3/16" deep range and leave obvious
scallops. The slower speed on those planers smooth out those ripples created
on the fast speed. With the portable planers, the fast cut is slow and
shallow by comparison in the fast speed on the stationary planers. Acutally
the fast speed on the new portable is slower than some of the competitions
single speed. Then add a nick to a blade and the slow speed is a totaly
waste of time.

Add the 3rd blade however and you will artomatically get smoother cuts
regardless of speed.

My portable planer has been aroun longer thant he cutter head locks. It
would be good for me to get the automatic lock.

Leon

Believe it or not, the HSS steel ones on my planer have been sharpened 4
times since 1988. There was some light usage years in the beginning but in
the last 7 years they have seen a much more wood.
Granted mine are not always perfect but sharp enough to NOT make dust. I
use mine for thicknessing and not for a finished surface.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Leon" wrote in message
Now a question from me. I have been using a portable planer for about

15
years that uses HSS blades that can be resharpened. For those of you

that
have the disposable blades, how long do they last before having to buy a

new
set?

Depends on how many nails are in the wood.
The Delta are reversible. Still using mine after a year of light use.

One
side is still about perfect, the other side is, well, less than perfect.

Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Scratch Ankle Wood

92# according to Wood Magazine this month.

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
The planer is now 92 or 93 lbs. IIRC.