B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default The new DeWalt Portable Planer

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:21:42 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I just read an article in Wood magazine. It tested the Grizzly, Jet , and
DeWalt portable planers. The DeWalt is the new one that has been talked
about here. It looks more like the stationary style planer. Has 3 blades
instead of the normal 2, and has 2 speeds. Like the new Delta, apparently
the DeWalt produces a marginal advantage with using the slower planer speed
as the fast speed is slow enough to begin with. It also has an automatic
cutter head lock and apparently produces no snipe, none, zip, unless you are
hogging off a lot of wood. The planer uses disposable blades. Apparently
it quite loud and weighs almost 100 lbs. Oh yeah, its color is still Yella.

I have a 733, and I really can't imagine the results much better. A
quick scrape or sanding with 150 grit and the planer evidence is gone.
I can't wait to see some wood run though the new model.

An automatic cutter lock would be nice though. The 733's lock works
great, but automatic would make the unit even faster to use.

Barry