Dermot O'Loughlin

Default Oil Boiler location options

Does anyone have any opinions about where the best place is to put an
oil boiler for central heating. I've gotton conflicting advice to date
as to what is best: i.e. put the boiler inside in the utility room,
put it outside in a boiler house, buy one of those self contained
external boiler units.

Any opinions?
Mike

"Dermot O'Loughlin" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have any opinions about where the best place is to put an
oil boiler for central heating. I've gotton conflicting advice to date
as to what is best: i.e. put the boiler inside in the utility room,
put it outside in a boiler house, buy one of those self contained
external boiler units.

Any opinions?

1st Outside in a boiler house - but in a workshop is fine as it heats the
workshop a bit
2nd External boiler unit - look ugly and lose a bit more heat

last Inside the house - just don't do it ! People who say modern oil
boilers don't smell have obviously been snorting white spirit for years.

Zikki Malambo

"Mike" wrote in message ...
last Inside the house - just don't do it ! People who say modern oil
boilers don't smell have obviously been snorting white spirit for years.

Or alternatively, get an HRM Wallstar, goes half in and half out of
the house whith all the smelly bits being outside. Also means it can
be serviced from outside, so if you're on good terms with the
servicing co they should even be able to do it while you're out.

Also means if its raining/snowing then they're not traipsing their
dirthy wet selves through your house :=)) - Some here have posted that
they don't like working on these because of this feature.
John

"Zikki Malambo" wrote in message
om...
"Mike" wrote in message
last Inside the house - just don't do it ! People who say modern oil
boilers don't smell have obviously been snorting white spirit for years.

Get real!
If you have a smell from a modern oil boiler there is something wrong with
your installation.

Or alternatively, get an HRM Wallstar, goes half in and half out of
the house whith all the smelly bits being outside. Also means it can
be serviced from outside, so if you're on good terms with the
servicing co they should even be able to do it while you're out.

Just don't hold your breath for a mug to turn out to a breakdown when its
****ing down with rain or snowing!
You want me to work in those conditions you find out I don't

Also means if its raining/snowing then they're not traipsing their
dirthy wet selves through your house :=)) - Some here have posted that
they don't like working on these because of this feature.

Exactly so

Owain

John wrote:
"Zikki Malambo" wrote
Or alternatively, get an HRM Wallstar, goes half in and half out of
the house whith all the smelly bits being outside. Also means it can
be serviced from outside, so if you're on good terms with the
servicing co they should even be able to do it while you're out.

Just don't hold your breath for a mug to turn out to a breakdown when its
****ing down with rain or snowing!
You want me to work in those conditions you find out I don't

One of those cheap garden gazebos from Argos as a temporary shelter
might be useful in such circumstances.

Owain

Mike

"John" wrote in message
last Inside the house - just don't do it ! People who say modern

oil
boilers don't smell have obviously been snorting white spirit for

years.

Get real!
If you have a smell from a modern oil boiler there is something wrong with
your installation.

Installation is perfect - in an outbuilding. I guess you've just got
acclimatised to the smell over the years but I can walk into any house and
detect an oil boiler straight away. The smell gradually accumulates and
there is nothing you can do to stop it.

John

"Owain" wrote in message
John wrote:
"Zikki Malambo" wrote
Or alternatively, get an HRM Wallstar, goes half in and half out of
the house whith all the smelly bits being outside. Also means it can
be serviced from outside, so if you're on good terms with the
servicing co they should even be able to do it while you're out.

Just don't hold your breath for a mug to turn out to a breakdown when its
****ing down with rain or snowing!
You want me to work in those conditions you find out I don't

One of those cheap garden gazebos from Argos as a temporary shelter might
be useful in such circumstances.

I've enough to carry in my van without catering for folks who choose to make
life hardg
I am willing to go the extra mile for people who have boilers located in
sensible (for me) places, others can go whistle as I don't need any more on
my client list.

Dermot O'Loughlin

thanks everyone for your help with this.

Owain wrote in message ...
John wrote:
"Zikki Malambo" wrote
Or alternatively, get an HRM Wallstar, goes half in and half out of
the house whith all the smelly bits being outside. Also means it can
be serviced from outside, so if you're on good terms with the
servicing co they should even be able to do it while you're out.

Just don't hold your breath for a mug to turn out to a breakdown when its
****ing down with rain or snowing!
You want me to work in those conditions you find out I don't

One of those cheap garden gazebos from Argos as a temporary shelter
might be useful in such circumstances.

Owain

Owain

John wrote:
Just don't hold your breath for a mug to turn out to a breakdown when its
****ing down with rain or snowing!
You want me to work in those conditions you find out I don't

One of those cheap garden gazebos from Argos as a temporary shelter might
be useful in such circumstances.

I've enough to carry in my van without catering for folks who choose to make
life hardg
I am willing to go the extra mile for people who have boilers located in
sensible (for me) places, others can go whistle as I don't need any more on
my client list.

I was meaning that the householder whose premises were equipped with
heating apparatus of the aforementioned nature might taking into account
the difficulty in persuading reputable tradespeople to provide their
services for even immoderately generous amounts of financial restitution
and having due cognisance of the fact that it was he the heritor of the
property described hereabove and outlined on the attached plan in red
who had taken the decision to equip his abode with such machinery
located so disadvantageously for the purpose of routine maintenance and
repair in customarily inclement ambient meteorological conditions or to
purchase same dwelling house with equipment such as heretofore
enumerated and being desirous of obtaining prompt and courteous service
from a central heating maintenance operative having sufficient technical
qualifications and being of irreproachable moral character think it a
worthwhile exercise to include in his chattels and furnishings such an
item as would prevent precipitation from any meteorological phenomenon
causing harm distress or discomfort to such persons as might
successfully be entreated into favouring the said incumbent with the
provision of boiler servicing.

Owain

Mike wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Inside the house - just don't do it ! People who say modern
oil boilers don't smell have obviously been snorting white
spirit for years.

Get real!
If you have a smell from a modern oil boiler there is something

wrong with
your installation.

Installation is perfect - in an outbuilding. I guess you've just

got
acclimatised to the smell over the years but I can walk into any

house and
detect an oil boiler straight away. The smell gradually accumulates

and
there is nothing you can do to stop it.

We have an internal oil boiler in the kitchen. It's not particularly
modern (between 9 and 12 years old probably). We certainly can't smell
it now, and I don't think we ever could (it was in the house when we
moved in).

YMMV

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have an internal oil boiler in the kitchen. It's not particularly
modern (between 9 and 12 years old probably). We certainly can't smell
it now, and I don't think we ever could (it was in the house when we
moved in).

Ask your next few visitors if they can smell it. Although sealed oil
burners always seem to leak just enough to smell slightly. Perhaps there's
one somewhere that doesn't but I haven't found it yet.

John

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have an internal oil boiler in the kitchen. It's not particularly
modern (between 9 and 12 years old probably). We certainly can't smell
it now, and I don't think we ever could (it was in the house when we
moved in).

Ask your next few visitors if they can smell it. Although sealed oil
burners always seem to leak just enough to smell slightly. Perhaps
there's
one somewhere that doesn't but I haven't found it yet.

You seem to be on a crusade to convince people that all oil boilers smell
regardless of the truth. You can take a horse to water etc.............
If any of my customers with a room sealed boiler have a smell in the
locality of the boiler or elsewhere they pretty soon get on the telephone.
Modern boilers are designed NOT to smell and if installed correctly with no
oil leaks they do not do so. Further a correctly adjusted and maintained oil
boiler flue does not have an unpleasant smell anymore than a gas boiler
flue. If it smells unpleasant it is not running correctly and you should get
someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out..

Mike

"John" wrote in message
You seem to be on a crusade to convince people that all oil boilers smell
regardless of the truth. You can take a horse to water etc.............

And convince them to put oil boilers where they belong - outside or in an
outhouse.

If any of my customers with a room sealed boiler have a smell in the
locality of the boiler or elsewhere they pretty soon get on the telephone.

Oh come on. Some people will even put up with the smell of cigarettes and
so on. How do you expect them to notice the slight smell of an oil boiler ?

Modern boilers are designed NOT to smell and if installed correctly with

no
oil leaks they do not do so. Further a correctly adjusted and maintained

oil
boiler flue does not have an unpleasant smell anymore than a gas boiler
flue. If it smells unpleasant it is not running correctly and you should

get
someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out..

It is in an outhouse and was commissioned recently. I am quite confident it
is operating as intended.
It doesn't smell unpleasant, only the slightest trace, but to say it doesn't
smell at all would be as nonsensical as to say any other oil boiler doesn't.

Now please stop immitating IMM and accept you are wrong.

John

"Mike" wrote in message

Now please stop immitating IMM and accept you are wrong.

Pot / Kettle ???????

Choice of boiler - options - and at last a quote! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 23 March 9th 05 11:44 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 03:20 AM
Combi boiler flue. Size options. Mike Barnard UK diy 5 March 14th 04 04:00 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 01:44 PM