John

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have an internal oil boiler in the kitchen. It's not particularly
modern (between 9 and 12 years old probably). We certainly can't smell
it now, and I don't think we ever could (it was in the house when we
moved in).

Ask your next few visitors if they can smell it. Although sealed oil
burners always seem to leak just enough to smell slightly. Perhaps
there's
one somewhere that doesn't but I haven't found it yet.

You seem to be on a crusade to convince people that all oil boilers smell
regardless of the truth. You can take a horse to water etc.............
If any of my customers with a room sealed boiler have a smell in the
locality of the boiler or elsewhere they pretty soon get on the telephone.
Modern boilers are designed NOT to smell and if installed correctly with no
oil leaks they do not do so. Further a correctly adjusted and maintained oil
boiler flue does not have an unpleasant smell anymore than a gas boiler
flue. If it smells unpleasant it is not running correctly and you should get
someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out..