Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?

I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:41:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Not sure what it would be called or whether it exists, but my first thought would be something to do with scaffolding.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:41:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.
Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.
I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

L shaped sticky out bits: rotate them and they go under the rail. Add a fixed bit of wood on the other side, and the Ls lock it in place.

NT