Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?

wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:41:32 +0100,
wrote:

I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Adapt a couple of quick release mounts that are designed to hold roof
rack components/bars on car roof rails? You would have to use the
board as the "rack" and fix the feet to allow for your angle possibly
by fixing short lengths of the correct style roof bar to the
underside of the wood. Drill bolt holes through the roof bar section
which should be one of the rectangular ones ,not a streamlined one.
keeping the nut inside the roof bar.
The bars are easily cut with a hacksaw and sets can often be found
second hand for not very much cost.

Yes,that's a way to make it quick and easy, sort of big toggle clamps
I guess.

--
Chris Green
ยท