DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/372223-clamp-board-railing-quick-removable-how.html)

[email protected] June 28th 14 05:41 PM

Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?

I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

--
Chris Green
·

[email protected] June 28th 14 06:35 PM

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:41:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Not sure what it would be called or whether it exists, but my first thought would be something to do with scaffolding.

Owain

Mike Barnes[_2_] June 28th 14 06:50 PM

wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

This idea is sadly lacking in detail but I'd make some "ears" under the
board angled at 45 degrees to curl under the railings. Put the board on
the railings and slide it forward until locks itself in place. For extra
security, mount an eye on the front of the board and lash it to
something further forward.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

alan June 28th 14 07:47 PM

On 28/06/2014 17:41, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Two planks one either side of the railing and a couple of long bolts +
nuts through the centre.

Bob Eager[_3_] June 28th 14 09:47 PM

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:47:21 +0100, alan wrote:

On 28/06/2014 17:41, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it down
at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Two planks one either side of the railing and a couple of long bolts +
nuts through the centre.

Yes, that's how I've done it in the past.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

[email protected] June 29th 14 11:02 AM

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 17:41:32 +0100, wrote:

I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Adapt a couple of quick release mounts that are designed to hold roof
rack components/bars on car roof rails? You would have to use the
board as the "rack" and fix the feet to allow for your angle possibly
by fixing short lengths of the correct style roof bar to the
underside of the wood. Drill bolt holes through the roof bar section
which should be one of the rectangular ones ,not a streamlined one.
keeping the nut inside the roof bar.
The bars are easily cut with a hacksaw and sets can often be found
second hand for not very much cost.

G.Harman

newshound June 29th 14 12:39 PM

On 28/06/2014 19:47, alan wrote:
On 28/06/2014 17:41, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Two planks one either side of the railing and a couple of long bolts +
nuts through the centre.

The bottom one doesn't have to be continuous, it could be two shorter
offcuts, one each side. Rather than bolts, drill clearance holes in the
top plank and use suitable length wood screws into the bottom ones.
Provided you have a cordless screwdriver this will be quicker than
faffing about with any sort of clamp, or nuts and bolts.

[email protected] June 29th 14 11:57 PM

Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:41:32 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.
Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.
I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

L shaped sticky out bits: rotate them and they go under the rail. Add a fixed bit of wood on the other side, and the Ls lock it in place.

NT

[email protected] June 30th 14 07:07 AM

alan wrote:
On 28/06/2014 17:41, wrote:
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of
our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this
to be permanent, just for use when I need it.

Can anyone suggest quick and easy clamp/unclamp devices that can be
mounted on a piece of board (probably a 1" thick plank) to hold it
down at either end to a round railing (probably a bit more than 1"
diameter)? The railing won't run across the board at right angles,
more like 45 degrees.

I guess a pair of exhaust clamps (or similar, smaller, U-bolts) with
wing nuts would do it. Can anyone think of anything quicker and/or
more elegant?

Two planks one either side of the railing and a couple of long bolts +
nuts through the centre.

Now that's neat, I hadn't thought of that at all, thanks.

--
Chris Green
·

[email protected] June 30th 14 07:08 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yes,that's a way to make it quick and easy, sort of big toggle clamps
I guess.

--
Chris Green
·