bosch washing machine programs take a long time

Old March 4th 12, 06:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bosch washing machine programs take a long time

I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs down
the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to complete,
sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the left they're all
fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas on what the problem
could be? I know what you're thinking, why not just use the programs on the
left? I would but I live with my mum who won't stop moaning about it, and
now I've been given an ultimatum. Thanks for any advice...about the machine
that is...

Old March 4th 12, 08:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

tg wrote:

I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs
down the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to
complete, sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the
left they're all fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas
on what the problem could be? I know what you're thinking, why not
just use the programs on the left? I would but I live with my mum who
won't stop moaning about it, and now I've been given an ultimatum.
Thanks for any advice...about the machine that is...

The ones on the right are for cottons/linens and the ones
on the left are for easycare etc, so presumably whatever
determines the timing etc for those is likely whats failed.

Still hard to see why that should just take a lot longer
than normal as opposed to not working at all tho.

Old March 4th 12, 08:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 5:46*am, "tg" wrote:
I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs down
the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to complete,
sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the left they're all
fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas on what the problem
could be? I know what you're thinking, why not just use the programs on the
left? I would but I live with my mum who won't stop moaning about it, and
now I've been given an ultimatum. Thanks for any advice...about the machine
that is...

First thing to check is, is the machine filling with water at a
reasonable rate?
If not how is the water pressure and if OK check the filter. You
disconnect the hose from the machine, filter is inside the threaded
bit on the machine.

If not fill problem,you have to determine which part of the cycle is
taking so long.
Eg,could be a problem with the waste pipe being blocked (takes a long
time to empty.)
Old March 4th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 4, 5:46 am, "tg" wrote:
[...]

If not, do they use flash ROM to hold the program on these things? If
so, then it could conceivably get corrupted. Or there may be a bad joint
on one of the data/ clock/ addressing pins on the microprocessor.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 4th 12, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I have
noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the machine is
still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour later. I tested this
using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of the timer. The heater
doesn't come back on once it goes off but the washing cycle just carries on.
It's still washing the clothers in the same hot water as I write. So my
question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?
2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?
thanks for any further pointers.

Old March 4th 12, 05:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:
thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I have
noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the machine is
still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour later. I tested
this
using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of the timer. The heater
doesn't come back on once it goes off but the washing cycle just carries
on.
It's still washing the clothers in the same hot water as I write. So my
question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?
2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?
thanks for any further pointers.

Is it actually reaching the target temperature? Often on hot washes the
program waits in a holding state until the temperature is reached. It
could indicate a failing heater or temperature sensor...

--
Cheers,

John.

Old March 4th 12, 08:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 4:07*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

If the temp sensor fails, either the water will boil, or it'll wash
for the usual time or less, and below temp.

If the heater were failing, the water would heat up faster, or not at
all.

My money's on the controller.

NT
Old March 4th 12, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

My money's on the controller.

The water temperature appears to be correct for the heat setting. I took the
controller board out and noticed overheating on it, marked by lines of soot
along the conductor print. It looks as though the coil device on the other
side is the cause of the heat. I suppose I'll just have to take the gamble
on the price of a replacement board. I can't think what else it could be.

Old March 4th 12, 08:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

tg wrote:

thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I
have noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the
machine is still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour
later. I tested this using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of
the timer. The heater doesn't come back on once it goes off but the
washing cycle just carries on. It's still washing the clothers in the
same hot water as I write. So my question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?

Likely, cant see why the timing should be miles out just with the ones on the right.

2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?

Dunno, I dont have a front loader and dont heat the water anyway, I only ever cold wash.

I wouldnt expect that it would bother to heat more than once, but dont know that.

thanks for any further pointers.

Old March 5th 12, 02:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 19:23, NT wrote:
On Mar 4, 4:07 pm, John wrote:
On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

Note if the heater has an over temp cutout...

If the heater were failing, the water would heat up faster, or not at
all.

My money's on the controller.

Yup, they do get stuck sometimes... tis what killed our last dishwasher
in the end.

--
Cheers,

John.