Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch Washing Machine Breakdown

Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it the
5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and
socket which are OK. Any ideas
as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it
the 5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and
socket which are OK. Any ideas
as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

First thing to do would be to check any internal fuse if you're sure the one
in the plug is ok. If there is one it should be close behind where the power
cord goes in. If not then the primary board could have blown which is
probably not cost effective to replace. Most other faults would at least
leave some lights on I think.

Not wishing to hijack your thread but it's made me wonder how old my
Hotpoint is now which is still going strong apart from a broken plastic
settings knob. I just switch it on with pliers now. I can't exactly remember
when I bought it but I hadn't been in this house very long and I do remember
the car I had to collect it with and looking up my records I ran that
between mid 1989 and mid 1991. Call it 19 years old. Mind you it only gets
used once a week or so and a family with kids could be doing washes twice a
day or more. On that basis it's barely 18 months old. Somehow I don't think
it'll last another 40 years though.

Modern ones have too much expensive crap inside them to last a decent time
just like modern central heating boilers. I think mine is all clockwork
inside. No circuit boards at all or at worst just rudimentary ones.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it
the 5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

Lets get this right..
You put it on to wash when you went to bed on the 12th and it hadn't worked
when you got up on the 13th and you are know reporting it on the 14th..
sounds like its within the warranty to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it
the 5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

Lets get this right..
You put it on to wash when you went to bed on the 12th and it hadn't
worked when you got up on the 13th and you are know reporting it on the
14th.. sounds like its within the warranty to me.

Hmmm, i'm liking the cut of your jib. :-)

Might be worth a punt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Sep, 07:06, "RedOnRed" wrote:
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it the
5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and
socket which are OK. Any ideas
as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

Try Bosch first. It may be one day out of warranty, but in my
experience, Bosch aftercare is extremely good and they'll probably fix
it for you anyway.

dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RedOnRed
writes
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have
it the 5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that
the law of Sod.

I'd definitely be on the phone to them if it's a manufacturer warranty.
It's got to be worth a try.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 14 Sep,
"Dave Baker" wrote:

Not wishing to hijack your thread but it's made me wonder how old my
Hotpoint is now which is still going strong apart from a broken plastic
settings knob. I just switch it on with pliers now. I can't exactly
remember when I bought it but I hadn't been in this house very long and I
do remember the car I had to collect it with and looking up my records I
ran that between mid 1989 and mid 1991. Call it 19 years old. Mind you
it
only gets used once a week or so and a family with kids could be doing
washes twice a day or more. On that basis it's barely 18 months old.
Somehow I don't think it'll last another 40 years though.

My Hotpoint (a "microtronic LE" -- electronic one) from about 1984 is
still
going strong. It was used for about 3 years with four small children, then
as
a "spare" machine, (but regularly used) for the next 10 or more years in
paralell with an AEG which itself was replaced by a Bosch a couple of
years
ago. Some (early) years it was used at least daily, and at least 3 times a
week for most of the time. It's had numerous brushes, a new motor (under
warranty), pump, and drum & motor bearings, plus a rebuild of the concrete
weight with old lead sheet.

As long as spares are available it should see me out in another 30 years
or
so.

Sounds a bit like Trigger's brush then

Apart from the 15 new heads and 8 new handles it's still the same brush.
Mine has actually never had a repair.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dent" wrote in message
On 14 Sep, 07:06, "RedOnRed" wrote:
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it
the
5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and
socket which are OK. Any ideas
as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

Try Bosch first. It may be one day out of warranty, but in my
experience, Bosch aftercare is extremely good and they'll probably fix
it for you anyway.

dan.

The extended 5 year warranty was with Domestic & General which they have
agreed to honour even though it's elapsed.

So a Bosch engineer is coming round to repair it on Friday under the old
expired warranty.

Can't complain at all and it is certainly a right old result. Mind you, I do
have about 4 other things covered by D&G which
may have helped swing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
[...]

Unbe****inglievable. I put the very next load in after posting this and it
comes back out still dirty. The heating element has gone apparently as the
door is cold to the touch while it's washing. Actually it's probably not the
element or the thing would never get to the wash cycle. More likely the
sensor that says it's hot enough. Can I be arsed to take it apart or just
buy a new one?

That's the last time I tempt fate on here. At least the car never breaks
down and the house is sound as a bell and I never get ill....

Oops.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
[...]

Lol, oh dear. Sorry for inadvertently bringing you bad luck.

Are you implying that I somehow attached evil spirits and some sort of
voodoo within my message?

Actually if you play it backwards it can be heard to say "death to all Bosch
washing machines."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 5:30*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:

Unbe****inglievable. I put the very next load in after posting this and it
comes back out still dirty. The heating element has gone apparently as the
door is cold to the touch while it's washing. Actually it's probably not the
element or the thing would never get to the wash cycle. More likely the
sensor that says it's hot enough. Can I be arsed to take it apart or just
buy a new one?

Give it a go, you know you want to!
I'd get a voltmeter across the heater terminals while you run a wash
cycle - should be easy to get at with the back off the machine?
Temp sensors just seal with a rubber grommet in the outside of the
plastic tub. Should be easy to see if that's duff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it
the 5 year warranty
expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the
law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and
socket which are OK. Any ideas
as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

For anyone that's interested in the outcome of this a Bosch engineer has
just been round and soldered a contact
behind the display module part of the machine. It's now repaired and working
nicely again (for the time being).

He seemed to be a bit surprised to be repairing it when the warranties
expired. Oh well.

Anyway, cheers for the replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, RedOnRed wrote:

For anyone that's interested

Thanks for keeping us posted. And well done for a very satisactory
outcome.

Kostas