Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default two stroke chainsaw conked and won;t restart

Fave chainsaw played up t'other day - had been using for an hour or two -
all as normal - then starting dying when should have been idling - i.e. make
a cut release throttle trigger, and revs drop down and .....conk.

Would restart -on full throttle - and OK at revs but conked again when
returning to idle.

Next day the fecka won;t start at all.

Had plug out, bit sooty but cleaned up OK, magneto creating a spark - felt
through fingers from plug lead, quite hard to see spark on plug tho??

Fuel OK (other backup saw running well on it), after trying to start (again)
plug/cylinder is wet so presume fuel getting there.....

Has a decompression system to start and is hard to pull without using it so
assuming compression OK.....

Will get a new plug - anything else?

Recently it was stored on it's side overnight due to persistent chain oil
leak - could this be related?

TIA
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

sounds like a blocked fuel supply somewhere.

Check the clunk is not clogged, and clean the carburettor jets.

Not sure how these carbs work, but if that was on a 60's car, I'd
diagnose 'blocked idle jet' instantly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2011 10:29, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Air filter blocked?

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:
On 16/08/2011 10:29, Jim K wrote:
[...]

more likley to idle OK and not rev...in that case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/08/2011 10:29, Jim K wrote:
[...]

well it ran at high revs until it failed so assuming air and fuel was/is not
an issue... plus the air "filter" is only a fine gauze screen that looked in
a reasonable state (has been worse w'out this issue)

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

Air filter blocked?

more likley to idle OK and not rev...in that case.

I was thinking air filter until I read your reply. Easy enough to check
- ours has a fine mesh screen that washes under a tap, not foam like a
lawnmower.
This 2 stroke talk reminds me of a little niggle with our Robin HT231
hedge cutter (1993 vintage, but with few hours of use). Fairly easy for
me to get going, even on old petrol mix. Cut hedges for a while, then it
dies even with throttle wide open to try to keep it from stalling.
Opening the fuel cap causes an audible "hiss" of air rushing in, then it
restarts OK. How do the fuel tanks on these bits of kit "breathe" as the
fuel is used up? (It only has one tank pickup pipe with a strainer on
the end). Fuel cap cannot have holes in as the thing spends its time in
all angles. Anything I ought to clean?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2011 10:29, Jim K wrote:
[...]

I have one doing exactly the same.

It is one given to me which would not start

Cleaned all up stripped carb checked diaphram etc new fuel etc got it to run
fine for about 30 seconds then old fuel pipe gave way

Replaced fuel pipe with a proper one from garden machinery repair shop
(rather a than the piece of aquarium air hose I had in stock)

Was still a b****r to start not helped by starting instructions being in
swedish

when I did get it to run it ran for 30 seconds and whilst on almost full
throttle cut out and would not restart

both my other 2 stroke tools start fine so it is not that I cannot do 2
stroke

If you do solve the problem I would love to know

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC used his keyboard to write :
On 16/08/2011 10:29, Jim K wrote:
[...]

2- strokes quite frequently suffer blocked exhausts too. Look for signs
of smoke escaping slowly.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:05:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not sure how these carbs work, but if that was on a 60's car, I'd
diagnose 'blocked idle jet' instantly.

That is what is going through my mind as well. I'd try very hard not
to fiddle with any adjustments but wash the carb out backwards and
some compressed air, again backwards.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:28:20 +0100, Part Timer wrote:

Fuel cap cannot have holes in as the thing spends its time in all
angles. Anything I ought to clean?

Not an open hole but it can have a hole with a bit of cork or a
simple flap valve arrangement over it on the inside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:05:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not sure how these carbs work, but if that was on a 60's car, I'd
diagnose 'blocked idle jet' instantly.

That is what is going through my mind as well. I'd try very hard not
to fiddle with any adjustments but wash the carb out backwards and
some compressed air, again backwards.

mmmm so why won't it start with the usual routine:-

choke & full throttle applied,
then pull till it "tries",
knock the choke in (still full throttle)
2 pulls & away..?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:49:46 +0100, Jim K wrote:

Not sure how these carbs work, but if that was on a 60's car, I'd
diagnose 'blocked idle jet' instantly.

That is what is going through my mind as well. I'd try very hard

not
to fiddle with any adjustments but wash the carb out backwards and
some compressed air, again backwards.

mmmm so why won't it start with the usual routine:-

choke & full throttle applied,
then pull till it "tries",
knock the choke in (still full throttle)
2 pulls & away..?

'Cause it's a two stroke? Two strokes are renown for being
tempremental, particulalry when cold.

Fairly sure that with most two stroke carbs the "idle" jet is there
all the time it doesn't get shut off or anything clever under any
throttle settings. So, in theory, if it's blocked, there is less fuel
avialable for the cold start, in theory...

--
Cheers
Dave.

strimmer conked out djbatwa Electronics Repair 2 May 29th 06 08:57 PM
New Pillar Drill Conked... RzB UK diy 13 December 5th 05 01:03 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 12:39 PM