Lidl 9" Angle Grinder - any good?

Old July 14th 11, 10:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl 9" Angle Grinder - any good?

Hi All
Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday. I really donlt want or
like angle grinders (it's one tool it's good to be scared of, I feel), but I
have a possible use for one coming up - cutting up the angle iron of an old
trailer for scrap.

At that price I'm tempted to buy one and try to sell it on cheap afterwards.
Any opinions on its general suitability for such a job? I have an
alternative offer of an old (B&D?) Proline Angle Grinder which I could buy
instead, if the team thinks that would be a better bet ;-o.

Thanks
Jon N

Old July 14th 11, 11:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for £30 on Monday. I really donlt want or
like angle grinders (it's one tool it's good to be scared of, I feel), but I
have a possible use for one coming up - cutting up the angle iron of an old
trailer for scrap.

At that price I'm tempted to buy one and try to sell it on cheap afterwards.
Any opinions on its general suitability for such a job? I have an
alternative offer of an old (B&D?) Proline Angle Grinder which I could buy
instead, if the team thinks that would be a better bet ;-o.

Thanks
Jon N

if its a one job wonder, hire a monster and take it back the same day.

should be less than £15
Old July 14th 11, 11:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi All
Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday. I really donlt want or
like angle grinders (it's one tool it's good to be scared of, I feel), but I
have a possible use for one coming up - cutting up the angle iron of an old
trailer for scrap.

At that price I'm tempted to buy one and try to sell it on cheap afterwards.
Any opinions on its general suitability for such a job? I have an
alternative offer of an old (B&D?) Proline Angle Grinder which I could buy
instead, if the team thinks that would be a better bet ;-o.

I commented at the time the ad came out that it had a very compact and
narrow head/gearbox which should allow it to make marginally deeper cuts
and get into tighter spots. Soft start too so no kick to be scared of.
Buy one!
--
fred
Old July 14th 11, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 10:07*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday.

if its a one job wonder, hire a monster and take it back the same day.

It never is though, so many times I've made that mistake. Latest was
a plate compactor for the patio, by the time that came off hire I was
well over the ebay price for a reasonable one, and didn't get the same
refund option. Mind, my shed and cellar are both big and yet
completely full of stuff which I will be using again at some point in
the hereafter.
Old July 15th 11, 12:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 9:43*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday. I really donlt want or
like angle grinders (it's one tool it's good to be scared of, I feel), but I
have a possible use for one coming up - cutting up the angle iron of an old
trailer for scrap.

No, get a moderate quality 4 1/2" grinder instead. 9" machines have a
scary gyroscopic effect - if you're not an angle grinder fan, then a
9" will put you right off.

The use for a cheap 9" is when you have thickish masonry to saw up.

The idea of "selling on" one's angle grinder sounds simply bizarre. I
expect to only part with mine when they pry them from my cold dead
fingers.
Old July 15th 11, 08:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All, thanks for the replies
I should have said that I already have a cheap 4 1/2" grinder, so if as
John Rumm advises they are likely to be better for this job anyway I'll
stick with that. The trailor is made from fairly 'serious' angle iron but
I'm sure a combination of using the smaller grinder with a hacksaw and a
sledgehammer will get there eventually... worth knowing that the main use
for the larger size would be for masonry, ta.

I probably should also have said that another thought about the Lidl one was
that it's 230V, rather than 110V. I hadn't noticed that it has a soft start,
I'd like that feature on my smaller one.

Andy D, the only reason I talked about selling in on was 'cos it would be
the larger one that I expected to have very occasional use for. I might not
enjoy using the 4 1/2" one, but I'm not getting rid of it.... An alternative
for me would have been to take TNP's suggestion and hire one for the day.

Thanks again
J^n

Old July 15th 11, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday. I really donlt
want or like angle grinders (it's one tool it's good to be scared of, I
feel), but I have a possible use for one coming up - cutting up the
angle iron of an old trailer for scrap.

At that price I'm tempted to buy one and try to sell it on cheap
afterwards. Any opinions on its general suitability for such a job? I
have an alternative offer of an old (B&D?) Proline Angle Grinder which
I could buy instead, if the team thinks that would be a better bet ;-o.

I bought a Lidl 9" grinder a couple of years ago just for the one job -
cutting the bricks for installing a larger window. It did the job
perfectly. I was surprised to find it was a soft start type - so nothing
like so scary as a 4" one without.

For the time I needed it, was cheaper than hiring. And of course it's had
occasional use since.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 15th 11, 06:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2011 22:29, Bolted wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:07 pm, The Natural
wrote:
The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
Lidl have a 230mm Angle Grider for 30 on Monday.

if its a one job wonder, hire a monster and take it back the same day.

It never is though, so many times I've made that mistake. Latest was
a plate compactor for the patio, by the time that came off hire I was
well over the ebay price for a reasonable one, and didn't get the same
refund option. Mind, my shed and cellar are both big and yet
completely full of stuff which I will be using again at some point in
the hereafter.

I have a clearout of the garage every few years and it is absolutely
guaranteed that a week later I will be doing something and think "I just
need a ... I've got one somewhere ... Oh **** I threw it out 'cos I
haven't needed it for the past fifteen years!" It happens every time

SteveW
Old July 15th 11, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Walker
saying something like:

I have a clearout of the garage every few years and it is absolutely
guaranteed that a week later I will be doing something and think "I just
need a ... I've got one somewhere ... Oh **** I threw it out 'cos I
haven't needed it for the past fifteen years!" It happens every time

Silly boy; never throw anything that's even vaguely tool-shaped away.
Old July 15th 11, 11:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Walker
saying something like:

I have a clearout of the garage every few years and it is absolutely
guaranteed that a week later I will be doing something and think "I just
need a ... I've got one somewhere ... Oh **** I threw it out 'cos I
haven't needed it for the past fifteen years!" It happens every time

Silly boy; never throw anything that's even vaguely tool-shaped away.

It happens with papers too, take my word for it.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)