Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl angle grinder stand

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...nder_Stand.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

I find an angle grinder is a tool I very rarely use - and when I want
it, it's usually for a stuck fastener in some inaccessable spot.
That's when a cordless would be ideal - but I can't justify the cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...nder_Stand.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

I bought it when I had a job which involved cutting a lot of bolts to e
certain length, that one job paid for it. Bought a cheapy angle grinder to
leave permanantly installed. Only used it once since though.

I find an angle grinder is a tool I very rarely use - and when I want
it, it's usually for a stuck fastener in some inaccessable spot.

I carry one on the van (along with a reciprocating saw, they share the same
bag) just for those embuggerance jobs, mainly the old fixings for gate
posts & similar. I have to unpack half the van to get to it, so its just as
well I don't use it often.

That's when a cordless would be ideal - but I can't justify the cost.

Me neither. Be handy for wheel clamps though :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
RubberBiker wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...nder_Stand.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

Yup. Makes an excellent cut off tool for not a lot of money.

I find an angle grinder is a tool I very rarely use - and when I want
it, it's usually for a stuck fastener in some inaccessable spot.
That's when a cordless would be ideal - but I can't justify the cost.

Like circular saws I'd say battery life would be poor.

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
RubberBiker wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...nder_Stand.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

I bought it when I had a job which involved cutting a lot of bolts to e
certain length, that one job paid for it. Bought a cheapy angle grinder
to leave permanantly installed. Only used it once since though.

I find an angle grinder is a tool I very rarely use - and when I want
it, it's usually for a stuck fastener in some inaccessable spot.

I carry one on the van (along with a reciprocating saw, they share the
same bag) just for those embuggerance jobs, mainly the old fixings for
gate posts & similar. I have to unpack half the van to get to it, so its
just as well I don't use it often.

That's when a cordless would be ideal - but I can't justify the cost.

Me neither. Be handy for wheel clamps though :-)

Best way to avoid wheel clamps is to fit 4 of your own.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...nder_Stand.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

I've found the AG very useful on many occasions. Always one-off jobs,
like sharpening a shovel to use it for lifting linoleum, or (with the
cutting disc) for cutting a piece off a stainless steel bench. My tool
is a cheapo Chinese item that I bought at the supermarket for NZ $20
about 4 years ago. It paid for itself on the first job, and to my
surprise it's still running well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:30:32 +0100, Graham. wrote:
Me neither. Be handy for wheel clamps though :-)

Best way to avoid wheel clamps is to fit 4 of your own.

Or use a horse. I'd like to see 'em clamp that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?

Its universal, which is why its a bit of a fiddle to assemble. I fitted a
Homobase cheapy to mine, but I recon it would take any make. AG's are all
much the same anyway aren't they?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:36:48 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?

I've a Lidl AG and the discs are too big for this stand (220mm) - are there
smaller ones available?
I suppose that I could reduce the size - cut 'em down with an AG!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
RubberBiker wrote:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...gle_Grinder_St
and.ar1

What, for you, is the main use? Chopping steel tube?

Yup. Makes an excellent cut off tool for not a lot of money.

I find an angle grinder is a tool I very rarely use - and when I want
it, it's usually for a stuck fastener in some inaccessable spot.
That's when a cordless would be ideal - but I can't justify the cost.

Like circular saws I'd say battery life would be poor.

It is, but often I's sufficient. I found a cheap Chinese one on ebay
after my old original battery one died. I've never understood why they
are so rare or so pricey for basically a motor and small gearbox..
Also, the battery jigsaw that I have is brilliant, as it also accepts
batteries from the Aldi drill/screwdrivers. They don't fit properly but
can be made to work well enough for the occasional longer jobs. I often
find I can cut something to a general shape then just have to trim a bit
in the middle of the field.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?

I've a Lidl AG and the discs are too big for this stand (220mm) - are there
smaller ones available?
I suppose that I could reduce the size - cut 'em down with an AG!

I think you will find the Lidl Stand will fit most 4-4.5" AGs only.
I have a larger stand that fits my 9" grinder bought from either
Toolstation or Screwfix but I note that neither seem to offer them now.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman *wrote:

The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.
Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?

I've a Lidl AG and the discs are too big for this stand (220mm) - are there
smaller ones available?
I suppose that I could reduce the size - cut 'em down with an AG!

I think you will find the Lidl Stand will fit most 4-4.5" AGs only.
I have a larger stand that fits my 9" grinder bought from either
Toolstation or Screwfix but I note that neither seem to offer them now.

I just got one from axminster to turn my 9" AG into a brick cutter.
Just enough depth to cut a brick,
misses the back corner, but whacking the brick on something fixes
that !
A bit of a fiddle to line it up to cut square in all planes.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...ands-20849.htm

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 22:54, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:25:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I've a Lidl AG and the discs are too big for this stand (220mm) - are there
smaller ones available?
I suppose that I could reduce the size - cut 'em down with an AG!

I think you will find the Lidl Stand will fit most 4-4.5" AGs only.
I have a larger stand that fits my 9" grinder bought from either
Toolstation or Screwfix but I note that neither seem to offer them now.

I just got one from axminster to turn my 9" AG into a brick cutter.
Just enough depth to cut a brick,
misses the back corner, but whacking the brick on something fixes
that !
A bit of a fiddle to line it up to cut square in all planes.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Angle-Grinder-...

Simon.

Thanks for the link. When I feel the need...

Interesting that the smaller one is 2x Lidl's price - I wonder if it's
worth it.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

It's twice the price, but it has a pressed steel base, where the Lidl
one has a cast iron base.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:13:44 -0700 (PDT), mr fuxit wrote:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Angle-Grinder-...

Simon.

Thanks for the link. When I feel the need...

Interesting that the smaller one is 2x Lidl's price - I wonder if it's
worth it.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

It's twice the price, but it has a pressed steel base, where the Lidl
one has a cast iron base.

So the Lidl is better!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

theyre even cheaper at
http://www.whdirect.co.uk/product.ph...0&bestseller=Y
and diamond screwdriver bits 3 for £1, titanium 7 for £1.
Looks like a lot of cheapo stuff.

Anyone done business with these folk before?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Interesting that the smaller one is 2x Lidl's price - I wonder if it's
worth it.

It's twice the price, but it has a pressed steel base, where the Lidl
one has a cast iron base.

So the Lidl is better!

Not really a surprise when you consider they are special offers. They're
sold in big quantities and only kept in the shop for a short period.
Contrast that with Axminster.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

theyre even cheaper at
http://www.whdirect.co.uk/product.ph...0&bestseller=Y
and diamond screwdriver bits 3 for £1, titanium 7 for £1.
Looks like a lot of cheapo stuff.

Anyone done business with these folk before?

NT

They are OK to deal with. Much of their cheap lines are "blackspur"
branded which are pretty near the bottom of the pile but oddments for a
one off job they are fine.
Stange mix of a pound shop and a poormans screwfix.
I've not bought from them for a couple of years now but then their
online ordering software was appalling and clunky but it may well have
improved.
As always - you get what you pay for.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The angle grinder stands are back at Lidl, Thursday I think.

I bought one last time they had them & its excellent, especially at a
tenner.

Bit of a fiddle to assemble, but once done really well made & rigid.

theyre even cheaper at
http://www.whdirect.co.uk/product.ph...0&bestseller=Y
and diamond screwdriver bits 3 for £1, titanium 7 for £1.
Looks like a lot of cheapo stuff.

£7.85 for the stand & £7.83 shipping charge, not such a bargain.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

cheers, yup. I just ordered some stuff of the you-cant-go-wrong type,
modesty blocks, tile spacers, spreaders etc, and some screwdriver bits
to try. Will report back next week.

PS its actually £7.19 after the 10% off, and free shipping. But I sure
dont want any of the Blackspur, erm, stuff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 15:36, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Does it fit all/most angle grinders - or only the ones sold by Lidl?

Almost anything vaguely recent with side-handles that are unscrewable.

I bought one a couple of years ago and have found it most useful for
rebating the edges on slate or other stone slabs. If I need something
a constant thickness to fit into a frame, this can be clamped up to
act as a thicknesser.

Can't see much use for it as a swinging stand for a chop saw, I can
just free-hand that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 23:13, mr fuxit wrote:
On 10 Apr, 22:54, PeterC wrote:

[...]

But lidl doesnt have one for 9" grinders.
Simon.

Which angle grinder? JoeJoe UK diy 11 July 4th 07 07:40 PM
Right Angle Grinder Greg Esres Home Repair 7 March 11th 07 11:54 PM
FA: such a deal - stand to make a 4.5 inch cheapie angle grinder into a cutoff tool William B Noble (don't reply to this address) Metalworking 3 February 26th 06 05:12 PM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM