Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that. Making system-wide changes like
this requires an admin account to unlock the settings. You can either
make manual changes to the time or let Ubuntu synchronise with Internet
time-servers. If the clock is out by a whole number of hours then the
problem is likely to be the time-zone setting.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

That's not a problem I've seen. I suspect a hardware fault in the mouse.
It's unlikely to be in the computer but I could be wrong.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:41:10 -0700, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will not
appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the box
up first to enable time setting...

Top RHS of screen (on standard set up) is the date and time box. Right
click om it and play away.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

No problem here.
Have you checked and degunged your mouse's internals?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 1:41*pm, "alexander.keys1"
wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

Did you keep the Windows installation ?

I would advise anyone trying Linux out to do it on a dual-boot PC.
That way you can eliminate hardware issues. IME, raising issues like
yours would just result in a "Linux is perfect, it's *your* hardware"
- dual boot can shut them up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:41:10 -0700, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will not
appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the box
up first to enable time setting...

Which box would that be?

Should be on NNTP anway.

Top RHS of screen (on standard set up) is the date and time box. Right
click om it and play away.

Thats the gnome way, for sure.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

No problem here.
Have you checked and degunged your mouse's internals?

Since by the time the signal gets to Ubuntu, its doesn't know the
difference between up/down/left/right that is a mouse, not a ubuntu,
problem..................
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

Did you keep the Windows installation ?

I would advise anyone trying Linux out to do it on a dual-boot PC.
That way you can eliminate hardware issues. IME, raising issues like
yours would just result in a "Linux is perfect, it's *your* hardware"

Linux ain't perfect, but if the mouse driver sees vertical signals but
not horizontal, you can be sure that's because no horizontal signals are
being sent.

Unless you are on weird wifi chipsets or some custom laptop mouse, linux
does just work with almost all hardware.

That doesn't mean the installation process is quite as seamless as the
actual code, however.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2011 14:02, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Just tried it on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine, works fine. Left click brings
up calendar, right click brings up other options.

When you click on the clock you get an option for Time& Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that. Making system-wide changes like
this requires an admin account to unlock the settings. You can either
make manual changes to the time or let Ubuntu synchronise with Internet
time-servers. If the clock is out by a whole number of hours then the
problem is likely to be the time-zone setting.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

That's not a problem I've seen. I suspect a hardware fault in the mouse.
It's unlikely to be in the computer but I could be wrong.

Agree that this issue is highly *unlikely* to be an OS problem, and more
likely a faulty mouse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:00:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

David P wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:41:10 -0700, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting...

Which box would that be?

Should be on NNTP anway.

Would be better on NTP...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-07-11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
David P wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:41:10 -0700, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will not
appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the box
up first to enable time setting...

Which box would that be?

Should be on NNTP anway.

NTP.

NNTP is something quite different.

Muy bad :-)

Only just woken up after an all nighter..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

All the main OSes work on nearly 100% of hardware, but not 100%. Far
more likely is errors on teh installation CD, Ubuntu is certainly a
very capable OS. I'd recommend Linux Mint though, its Ubuntu with its
main shortcoings sorted. Mint 7 beats later versions.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:41:10 -0700 (PDT), alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

Troll or some one with only half a plank?

Two semi off topic posts, both complaining about failures that no one
here can do much about rather than getting off their arse and getting
the people who can do something, to do it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2011 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

From the tone of that, I'd suggest you visit a computer shop and simply
buy a PC that has the operating system already installed, or just *pay*
someone to find the PCs original windows software (or Linux if you are
keen) and install properly it for you. Wasting your time otherwise.

Distributions of Linux are made for technical fiddlers who enjoy and
share their experiences of experimenting at the (b)leading edge of tech.
Ubuntu 11.04 has a new desktop to it and unavoidably new bugs. It is not
an out of the box experience that can be compared to switching on a
computer that has been bought from a shop. Maybe Ubuntu 10.04 LTS could
be for you but the coders of that work for free, calling them
"incompetant" from your perspective of a spoilt spoon fed windows
consumer is not nice ...

Last line of Dirty Harry,

A man's got to know his limitations....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

I'm not risking 11.04
and the Unity phone interface
which almost everyone hates,
i'm sticking to 10.04 LTS.

is an ubuntu group

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian C
scribeth thus
On 11/07/2011 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

From the tone of that, I'd suggest you visit a computer shop and simply
buy a PC that has the operating system already installed, or just *pay*
someone to find the PCs original windows software (or Linux if you are
keen) and install properly it for you. Wasting your time otherwise.

Distributions of Linux are made for technical fiddlers who enjoy and
share their experiences of experimenting at the (b)leading edge of tech.
Ubuntu 11.04 has a new desktop to it and unavoidably new bugs. It is not
an out of the box experience that can be compared to switching on a
computer that has been bought from a shop. Maybe Ubuntu 10.04 LTS could
be for you but the coders of that work for free, calling them
"incompetant" from your perspective of a spoilt spoon fed windows
consumer is not nice ...

Last line of Dirty Harry,

A man's got to know his limitations....

FWIW..

Older daughters notebook developed a nasty virus botnet thing and
nothing it seem shifted it so decided to wipe the hard drive and do a
re-install. Couldn't find the original Windows 7 installer might have
been via the USB as its not got a CD drive;!

She managed to download Ubuntu onto a USB stick and did the install
after flatting the hard drive. No problems at all apart from the
wireless driver which was noted and fixed on the Ubuntu website support.

Libre office suite installed c/w Firefox and Thunderbird and some odd
media player and she reckons its fine, and does everything that Windows
did and in a way she seems to like better;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

Did you keep the Windows installation ?

I would advise anyone trying Linux out to do it on a dual-boot PC.
That way you can eliminate hardware issues. IME, raising issues like
yours would just result in a "Linux is perfect, it's *your* hardware"
- dual boot can shut them up.

Except that the Ubuntu installer is so dumb it will quite happily let
you install itself on a different disk to the existing windows and
make no changes whatsover to the boot process so that when you reboot
the PC all you get is Windows.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 8:28*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote: I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

I'm not risking 11.04
and the Unity phone interface

Seems to depend on the hardware you install it on, and it's easy
enough to get rid of.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 2:31*pm, John wrote:
In article 7e7dc836-e38e-4064-9087-e4fdf9655de4
@hd10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, says...

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

Some computers expect you to make your own recovery discs rather than
supplying them for you. For instance, a Dell desktop computer that a
friend has and an Acer laptop that a different friend has, both had the
option to do this from the Start All Programs Dell (Acer) menu. Some
computers only give you a one-time opportunity to do this and once done,
I think that program uninstalls itself.

Other computers, like an HP desktop that another friend has, give you
the option to do a factory reset at boot time, eg, Press Del for BIOS,
Press F10 for boot options, Press F12 for recovery.

Doesn't help if the HDD is trashed. You still need to make backup
media.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/11 21:32, Man at B&Q wrote:

I'm not risking 11.04
and the Unity phone interface

Seems to depend on the hardware you install it on, and it's easy
enough to get rid of.

I've got Unity and Gnome on this machine. I swapped backwards and
forwards a few times but now I use Unity full-time.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 2:02*pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.

Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

Making system-wide changes like
this requires an admin account to unlock the settings. You can either
make manual changes to the time or let Ubuntu synchronise with Internet
time-servers. If the clock is out by a whole number of hours then the
problem is likely to be the time-zone setting.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

That's not a problem I've seen. I suspect a hardware fault in the mouse.
It's unlikely to be in the computer but I could be wrong.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

Did you keep the Windows installation ?

Windows got corrupted, not for the first time either, the speakers
just went 'click' and the screen went black, no response to keyboard
or mouse. After I switched it off and on again a BIOS message came up
saying something like 'operating system not found'. So I decided to
install Linux instead, the PC is a second-hand one that came without
any discs, AFAIK it costs £200 for an unlocked copy of Windows.

I would advise anyone trying Linux out to do it on a dual-boot PC.
That way you can eliminate hardware issues. IME, raising issues like
yours would just result in a "Linux is perfect, it's *your* hardware"
- dual boot can shut them up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 5:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
David P wrote:
[...]

The mouse worked fine before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 7:23*pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 11/07/2011 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

*From the tone of that, I'd suggest you visit a computer shop and simply
buy a PC that has the operating system already installed, or just *pay*
someone to find the PCs original windows software (or Linux if you are
keen) and install properly it for you. Wasting your time otherwise.

We've done that before, paid somebody to do a Windows reload, but the
trouble with Windows is that it keeps getting corrupted and crashing,
and we have anti-virus software too, at least we did have until the
latest crash.

Distributions of Linux are made for technical fiddlers who enjoy and
share their experiences of experimenting at the (b)leading edge of tech.
Ubuntu 11.04 has a new desktop to it and unavoidably new bugs. It is not
an out of the box experience that can be compared to switching on a
computer that has been bought from a shop. Maybe Ubuntu 10.04 LTS could
be for you but the coders of that work for free, calling them
"incompetant" from your perspective of a spoilt spoon fed windows
consumer is not nice ...

They should still do the job properly, volunteers on preserved
railways work for free, but the job has to be done to professional
standards, or else bad things will happen.

Last line of Dirty Harry,

* * * * A man's got to know his limitations....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/11 12:55, alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:02 pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.

Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

OK. Are you using an account that has admin privileges through sudo?

You should be able to start the Time & Date program from the
applications option on the dock. Is the application listed and if so
what happens when you click on that?

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2011 13:13, alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 7:23 pm, Adrian wrote:

Distributions of Linux are made for technical fiddlers...

They should still do the job properly,

It is done properly, it's just you are not in the target market to be on
the bleeding edge. It's installers. Anyway try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and see
how that goes for you, or PCLinuxOS, or LinuxMint etc. Research and ask
questions through their forums. You might get there ...

volunteers on preserved
railways work for free, but the job has to be done to professional
standards, or else bad things will happen.

That's different. Trying to help people enjoy themselves and not kill
themselves at the same time is a different line of professionalism,
particulary when H&S, NI and DMGT are at large.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alexander.keys1 wrote:

Windows got corrupted, not for the first time either, the speakers
just went 'click' and the screen went black, no response to keyboard
or mouse. After I switched it off and on again a BIOS message came up
saying something like 'operating system not found'. So I decided to
install Linux instead, the PC is a second-hand one that came without
any discs, AFAIK it costs £200 for an unlocked copy of Windows.

You should have the OEM Windows sticker on the box, if you have then look
for an OEM copy of your version of Windows, you just need the disk, and
then during install enter the authorisation key on the sticker when it asks
for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alexander.keys1" wrote:
[snip]

They should still do the job properly,

They do. Despite being free Ubuntu comes with excellent tech support and is
constantly patched and updated to work with recent hardware. It supports
more devices than Windows 7.

I install server and desktop versions of Ubuntu on hardware ranging from
old Turion processors up to recent Intel quad core devices. I've not had a
problem, ever. The installers just work and the instructions during install
are clear, inless one is acomplete pillock, that is.

volunteers on preserved
railways work for free, but the job has to be done to professional
standards, or else bad things will happen.

And if I turn up at my local amateur twits railway they will give me a free
engine or rides for life will they? Or will they charge more per mile than
a Network TOC?

How much did you pay for Ubuntu?

Face it, you're just too dim to install an OS and too daft to tell the
difference between a hardware and a software failure. Go back to paying
Microsoft for an OS and use it in chimp mode.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/11 14:15, Steve Firth wrote:
"alexander.keys1" wrote:
[snip]

They should still do the job properly,

They do. Despite being free Ubuntu comes with excellent tech support and is
constantly patched and updated to work with recent hardware. It supports
more devices than Windows 7.

I install server and desktop versions of Ubuntu on hardware ranging from
old Turion processors up to recent Intel quad core devices. I've not had a
problem, ever. The installers just work and the instructions during install
are clear, inless one is acomplete pillock, that is.

To be fair, what is clear to someone who uses Linux every day may not be
to someone coming to it for the first time.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Given the problems you describe it is highly likely that your hardware
has developed one or more faults.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

As others have said, and following your description of the failure mode,
it's 99% certain to be hardware failing not Ubuntu. Possibly the
motherboard.

The basics, such a mouse control, keyboard interface and time and date
setting have been bug free IME since the first version. Even the
Ethernet now works 90% of the time straight from the install routine for me.

I'd suggest downloading and burning the Ultimate Boot CD, and using it
to check your Hard Drive, memory and anything else you can think of.

Then, download Ubuntu again, and burn a fresh DVD, as your copy may be
corrupted or may have been copied to a defective HD at install time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:02 pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.
There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.

Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

Oh. maybe its actually GOT ntpd installed, but can't 'see' any time servers?

What do the boot logs say?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 7:23 pm, Adrian wrote:

Distributions of Linux are made for technical fiddlers...

They should still do the job properly,

It is done properly, it's just you are not in the target market to be on
the bleeding edge. It's installers. Anyway try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and see
how that goes for you, or PCLinuxOS, or LinuxMint etc. Research and ask
questions through their forums. You might get there ...

volunteers on preserved
railways work for free, but the job has to be done to professional
standards, or else bad things will happen.

That's different. Trying to help people enjoy themselves and not kill
themselves at the same time is a different line of professionalism,
particulary when H&S, NI and DMGT are at large.

If you are anywhere near suffolk I'll sort it for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 12/07/11 14:15, Steve Firth wrote:
"alexander.keys1" wrote:
[snip]
They should still do the job properly,

They do. Despite being free Ubuntu comes with excellent tech support and is
constantly patched and updated to work with recent hardware. It supports
more devices than Windows 7.

I install server and desktop versions of Ubuntu on hardware ranging from
old Turion processors up to recent Intel quad core devices. I've not had a
problem, ever. The installers just work and the instructions during install
are clear, inless one is acomplete pillock, that is.

To be fair, what is clear to someone who uses Linux every day may not be
to someone coming to it for the first time.

That was my thought too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh. Did you put a new disk in?

And clean the dust from the fans?

I would advise anyone trying Linux out to do it on a dual-boot PC.
That way you can eliminate hardware issues. IME, raising issues like
yours would just result in a "Linux is perfect, it's *your* hardware"
- dual boot can shut them up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
groups.com, alexander.keys1 escribió:

how incompetent can you get?

Posting about a computer issue in a DIY newsgroup seems pretty
incompetent to me.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:44:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:02 pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.
There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.
When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.

Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

Oh. maybe its actually GOT ntpd installed, but can't 'see' any time servers?

IIRC ntpd is not installed by default in Ubuntu*. ntpdate is though.

* I haven't looked at 11.04.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
groups.com, alexander.keys1 escribió:

how incompetent can you get?

Posting about a computer issue in a DIY newsgroup seems pretty
incompetent to me.

It's relevant, as the OP has repaired the computer himself, and is
asking for assistance,and it is known that several of the regular
posters here know about such things.

They're also less likely to take the mickey than posters in the Linux
groups, IME. "How can someone be so stupid as to not get this to work?
All you need to do is (Insert either a page of code or instructions to
recompile the kernel.)" Neither of which works, because it's a hardware
problem.....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:02 pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.
There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.
When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.
Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

Oh. maybe its actually GOT ntpd installed, but can't 'see' any time servers?

IIRC ntpd is not installed by default in Ubuntu*. ntpdate is though.

Muy bad..

* I haven't looked at 11.04.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo
groups.com, alexander.keys1 escribió:

how incompetent can you get?

Posting about a computer issue in a DIY newsgroup seems pretty
incompetent to me.

It's relevant, as the OP has repaired the computer himself, and is
asking for assistance,and it is known that several of the regular
posters here know about such things.

They're also less likely to take the mickey than posters in the Linux
groups, IME. "How can someone be so stupid as to not get this to work?
All you need to do is (Insert either a page of code or instructions to
recompile the kernel.)" Neither of which works, because it's a hardware
problem.....

Indeed. The first place however to start looking is the boot logs, where
if anything fails to start correctly, there is generally an error.

However in the OPs case, I'd suspect an overheating machine, or a
partially failed disk as the source of the original failure to boot windows.

Since too hot electronics is fully capable of corrupting code in memory
at the bit and byte level, unless that is fixed all bets are frankly off.

I've debugged similar in a machine with a poor peripheral card installed
The program behaviours was simply unable to be replicated by any
possible logical error in the source. (jumping from one place into the
middle of a stretch of code where no such explicit linkage existed)
Comparisons of the actual code memory with that of it on disk showed the
presence of two bytes set to FFH...randomly in the middle

The cause? bus timing problems caused by slow hardware when doing a DMA
transfer from floppy disk. Remove hardware, program loaded correctly.

When 'cant find operating system' comes up,. its a sign that either the
boot sector cant be read, or it or the sectors where the OS should be,
cant be read or are corrupted. Its *possible* to get that by powering
down a machine that's booting. I lost a couple of machines that way in a
thunderstorm/brownout scenario.. but is more usually a sign that the
hardware is going AWOL. And expereincee suggests that machines at or
about the 4-7 year mark in normal environments need a damned good
hoovering and a new disk. And after many years, I dot fanny about.They
get that new disk. RAM may also be failing, too.

Unless you have the 'sick capacitor ' syndrome mostly the motherboards
hold up, Batteries for NVRAM may also fail.

My experience has been that the most likely hardware issue (barring sick
capacitors) is fans, followed by disks, with Ram trailing somewhat
behind, the batteries, and finally CPUS that have been cooked, a single
instance in 20 years plus. On a SUN SPARC chassis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My experience has been that the most likely hardware issue (barring sick
capacitors) is fans, followed by disks, with Ram trailing somewhat
behind, the batteries, and finally CPUS that have been cooked, a single
instance in 20 years plus. On a SUN SPARC chassis.

Worn or loose ribbon cables can also present lots of different symptoms.

--
Bernard Peek