Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

On Jul 11, 2:31*pm, John wrote:
In article 7e7dc836-e38e-4064-9087-e4fdf9655de4
@hd10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, says...

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

Some computers expect you to make your own recovery discs rather than
supplying them for you. For instance, a Dell desktop computer that a
friend has and an Acer laptop that a different friend has, both had the
option to do this from the Start All Programs Dell (Acer) menu. Some
computers only give you a one-time opportunity to do this and once done,
I think that program uninstalls itself.

Other computers, like an HP desktop that another friend has, give you
the option to do a factory reset at boot time, eg, Press Del for BIOS,
Press F10 for boot options, Press F12 for recovery.

Doesn't help if the HDD is trashed. You still need to make backup
media.

MBQ