Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

alexander.keys1 wrote:
I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.

There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.

Also only USB mice will work, ones that use the proper mouse port will
only move the cursor vertically... how incompetent can you get?

As others have said, and following your description of the failure mode,
it's 99% certain to be hardware failing not Ubuntu. Possibly the
motherboard.

The basics, such a mouse control, keyboard interface and time and date
setting have been bug free IME since the first version. Even the
Ethernet now works 90% of the time straight from the install routine for me.

I'd suggest downloading and burning the Ultimate Boot CD, and using it
to check your Hard Drive, memory and anything else you can think of.

Then, download Ubuntu again, and burn a fresh DVD, as your copy may be
corrupted or may have been copied to a defective HD at install time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.