Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

Bernard Peek wrote:

My experience has been that the most likely hardware issue (barring sick
capacitors) is fans, followed by disks, with Ram trailing somewhat
behind, the batteries, and finally CPUS that have been cooked, a single
instance in 20 years plus. On a SUN SPARC chassis.

Worn or loose ribbon cables can also present lots of different symptoms.

That's what I love about this group. On target, possibly relevant
answers, and no condescension.

All we need now is for the OP to confirm what the problem actually was
to close the loop.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/11 13:24, alexander.keys1 wrote:

It says "starting time and date" but nothing else happens.

I've found a bug report in the Ubuntu forums which has a workaround.

"The workaround to allow the settings to be accessed is to open a
terminal and enter killall indicator-datetime-preferences then you
should be able to access the date/time settings in the normal way. If
you wish to change them again you may need to do the killall again, if
you have re-booted in between."

--
Bernard Peek