Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computers: Ubuntu Linux problems

Mark wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:44:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

alexander.keys1 wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:02 pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 11/07/11 13:41, alexander.keys1 wrote:

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux 11.04, because Windows kept crashing,
and we didn't get a backup disc with our PC.
There are two problems so far: the 'Time and Date' dialogue box will
not appear, Ubuntu's website is useless as it says you need to get the
box up first to enable time setting... obviously they're staffed by a
typical incompetence of engineers, telling you their product does
something when it plainly doesn't.
When you click on the clock you get an option for Time & Date settings
just below the calendar. Click on that.
Doesn't work, I just get "starting time & date" but the box does not
appear.

Oh. maybe its actually GOT ntpd installed, but can't 'see' any time servers?

IIRC ntpd is not installed by default in Ubuntu*. ntpdate is though.

Muy bad..

* I haven't looked at 11.04.