Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth leakage

Well it was Christmas morning and we had opened all the presents, not a
DiY one amongst them, unless you include the "bake your own Christmas
cake" mix and the "how to stop smoking in a day" book that my wife
presented me with.

Any way she decided to be ultra efficient this year and use 2 ovens for
dinner. Pity she hadn't checked the 2nd one in the annexe. (for 2
years). I am assuming the heating element is leaking, every time I put
power to it the trip goes. Left it running for a while with the fan on
and the top grill area on to try and warm it up and remove any moisture.
Oh the hassle of it all having to manage with only one oven on Christmas
day :-(

I think I know what I'm doing next week! All I have to figure out is
how to remove a built in oven.............

Merry Christmas everyone.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 14:03:58 +0000, Bill
wrote:

Well it was Christmas morning and we had opened all the presents, not a
DiY one amongst them, unless you include the "bake your own Christmas
cake" mix and the "how to stop smoking in a day" book that my wife
presented me with.

For some blokes cooking a cake and stopping smoking would be mutually
incompatable.

Sticking with the theme of the group my late father always Iced the
cake. My mother Reckoned that as he was good at plastering it was the
same skill set.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 2:03*pm, Bill wrote:
Well it was Christmas morning and we had opened all the presents, not a
DiY one amongst them, unless you include the "bake your own Christmas
cake" mix and the "how to stop smoking in a day" book that my wife
presented me with.

Any way she decided to be ultra efficient this year and use 2 ovens for
dinner. *Pity she hadn't checked the 2nd one in the annexe. (for 2
years). *I am assuming the heating element is leaking, every time I put
power to it the trip goes. *Left it running for a while with the fan on
and the top grill area on to try and warm it up and remove any moisture.
Oh the hassle of it all having to manage with only one oven on Christmas
day :-(

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

*All I have to figure out is
how to remove a built in oven.............

Merry Christmas everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 5:50*pm, Tabby wrote:
On Dec 25, 2:03*pm, Bill wrote:

Well it was Christmas morning and we had opened all the presents, not a
DiY one amongst them, unless you include the "bake your own Christmas
cake" mix and the "how to stop smoking in a day" book that my wife
presented me with.

Any way she decided to be ultra efficient this year and use 2 ovens for
dinner. *Pity she hadn't checked the 2nd one in the annexe. (for 2
years). *I am assuming the heating element is leaking, every time I put
power to it the trip goes. *Left it running for a while with the fan on
and the top grill area on to try and warm it up and remove any moisture..
Oh the hassle of it all having to manage with only one oven on Christmas
day :-(

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

DANGER DANGER DANGER
If the RCD is tripping then DO NOT disconnected the safety earth. The
tripping indicates there is a high leakage current that would make the
metalwork live and be able to give a severe electric shock. Depending
on the local earthing arrangements it may be that an RCD is not
required for sucha class 1 appliance but that would depend on the
supply earthing arangements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tabby writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in the
hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. The oven is
about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and now only
once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is £35:00 so not dramatically expensive, would heating it
be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in the
hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. The oven is
about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and now only
once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is £35:00 so not dramatically expensive, would heating it
be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

A dangerous waste of time. If warming the room above the dew point for a
few hours doesn't work, the moisture's inside the element or in the
switchgear, which means it's shot and in a dangerous condition.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in
the hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. The
oven is about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and
now only once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is £35:00 so not dramatically expensive, would heating
it be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

It is worth a shot but your chances of success are only 10-20% IMHO.

--
Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 7:13*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in the
hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. *The oven is
about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and now only
once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is 35:00 *so not dramatically expensive, would heating it
be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

A dangerous waste of time. If warming the room above the dew point for a
few hours doesn't work, the moisture's inside the element or in the
switchgear, which means it's shot and in a dangerous condition.

as long as you keep the oven earthed its not dangeorus in the least.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it's like my very underused cooker, there'll be a build up of moisture in
the element near the terminals. It happened on most of my elements, as my
father did a lot of cooking then, after he died, I did none.
The salts etc. from cooking can get into the insulation for a short way and
absorb moisture, then heating the element will drive out the moisture and it
will condense on the cool ends of the element, tripping the RCD.

Once I realised the cause, I removed the elements (3 rings and both grill),
clened them and put them in the oven at 150C for half an hour.
On refitting, they all worked properly. Now I run all of the elements to red
heat (not all on at once) on a cold morning (no point in wasting heat) once
a year. They've been OK ever since.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
In message
,
Tabby writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in
the hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. The
oven is about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and
now only once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is £35:00 so not dramatically expensive, would heating
it be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

It is worth a shot but your chances of success are only 10-20% IMHO.

I recently replaced the element in our oven. The old one was tripping the RCD
when the oven reached about 200 deg C so it had plenty of opportunity to "dry out"
if moisture was the problem. I wasn't 100% sure if the element would be the cause, but happily it was.

The cheap and cheerful electric hob with the solid rings is a different story.
This does respond to boiling off the moisture for ten min with the earth temporarily disconnected.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember JS
saying something like:

disconnecting the earth & shorting the RCD?

DANGER DANGER DANGER

********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Williamson
saying something like:

A new element is £35:00 so not dramatically expensive, would heating it
be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

A dangerous waste of time.

********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 3:05*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/12/2010 11:12, Graham. wrote:

*wrote in .. .
*wrote:
In message
,
*writes

I think I know what I'm doing next week!

disconnecting the earth& *shorting the RCD?

Strangely enough I did consider this, just to get the element hot in
the hope it may remove the moisture that has probably built up. *The
oven is about 15 years old, was used regularly for about 5 years and
now only once or twice every couple of years.

A new element is 35:00 *so not dramatically expensive, would heating
it be a fix or just a temporary bodge or just a waste of time?

It is worth a shot but your chances of success are only 10-20% IMHO.

I recently replaced the element in our oven. The old one was tripping the RCD
when the oven reached about 200 deg C so it had plenty of opportunity to "dry out"
if moisture was the problem. I wasn't 100% sure if the element would be the cause, but happily it was.

Alas the problem is not really solved just by "drying out" as such,
although that will help in some cases where the moisture is not actually
in the element.

The usual insulation material in the element is magnesium oxide. Its
hygroscopic, and when it gets wet you get a chemical conversion to
magnesium hydroxide which is electrically more conductive. To reverse
the process you need to get it *very* hot, IIRC over 320 deg C.

An element should reach that and more in normal cooking.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, it may be a short lived fix, but I gave it half an hour this
morning with no earth, still alive by the way. Reconnected the earth
and no more tripping. Gave it another hour and then left it to cool
down. Tried it this evening and still no trip so OK for now. We'll see
how it goes after a few days in an unheated kitchen.

Thanks to everyone for all comments, a varied assortment and much
appreciated.
--
Bill