Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaky oil-filled electric radiator. Dangerous?

I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radiator has leaked
oil. The stain doesn't really bother me as its barely visible in the
corner, but is it safe? I'll be repacing the radiator, but should I
rip the carpet up too? Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 6:28*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radiator has leaked
oil. The stain doesn't really bother me as its barely visible in the
corner, but is it safe? I'll be repacing the radiator, but should I
rip the carpet up too? Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

I've come across 'EWT' fan heaters, they seem to be solidly built,
some models with metal cases, I used to work in an asylum seeker's
hostel, a nearby electric shop stocked them and they were popular with
the residents, but not with the site engineer as they overloaded the
rising busbars.... "THEY CANNAE TAKE ANYMORE CAP'N!", and indeed they
couldn't, one day the busbars overheated and bent together.

As for leaking oil radiators, the liquid may be flammable, move it
onto a non-flammable floor surface and contact the importer about
finding an approved repairer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

I don't know, I'd expect its the cheapest oil, mineral oil aka baby
oil.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon C." . wrote in message

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread]

If you are using a heater that it is leaking oil I would say that your fears
are not paranoia but fully justified.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/10 00:58, Michael Chare wrote:
"Simon C." . wrote in message

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread]

If you are using a heater that it is leaking oil I would say that your
fears are not paranoia but fully justified.

I doubt the oil is anything nasty. But it might cause damage to furnishings.

The big problem is that if the rad loses significant oil, it's going to
stop working once the oil fails to be able to circulate properly. Then
the OP is at the mercy of the overheat failsafe (assuming there is one[1])
..

[1] Don't assume anything. I had a couple of fan heaters that were of
mid quality (not Honeywell good but the next level down). The sodding
things had bottom air intakes to suck the fluff in which blocked the
element causing local hot spots and resultant jets of red hot air that
then melted the crap plastic grills or casing. No effective thermal
fuse. IIRC they did have thermal fuses but those couldn't reliably
detect local hotspots.

This year I have some De'Longhi oil rads - boy those are good. The panel
arrangement (they call it the chimney - look for Dragon or Vento models)
is bloody good. A 2kW unit that's about 600mm long really can put out
2kW without the internal stat cycling - unlike the cheap crap B&Q sell
which are rated 1kW and probably put out about 300W based on the duty cycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 9:21*am, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/10/10 00:58, Michael Chare wrote:

.. .

.

[1] Don't assume anything. I had a couple of fan heaters that were of
mid quality (not Honeywell good but the next level down). The sodding
things had bottom air intakes to suck the fluff in which blocked the
element causing local hot spots and resultant jets of red hot air that
then melted the crap plastic grills or casing. No effective thermal
fuse. IIRC they did have thermal fuses but those couldn't reliably
detect local hotspots.

This year I have some De'Longhi oil rads - boy those are good. The panel
arrangement (they call it the chimney - look for Dragon or Vento models)
is bloody good. A 2kW unit that's about 600mm long really can put out
2kW without the internal stat cycling - unlike the cheap crap B&Q sell
which are rated 1kW and probably put out about 300W based on the duty cycle.

Loss of oil wont cause the thing to overheat, the stat will function
as normal. Its only the element that'll overheat and die.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/10 10:10, Tabby wrote:

Loss of oil wont cause the thing to overheat, the stat will function
as normal. Its only the element that'll overheat and die.

Starting a fire as it does so?

That's why I drew caution to the overheat protection vs the normal stat.

I have seen too many badly designed heaters to believe that all of them
will fail safely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 4:12*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/10/10 10:10, Tabby wrote:

Loss of oil wont cause the thing to overheat, the stat will function
as normal. Its only the element that'll overheat and die.

Starting a fire as it does so?

That's why I drew caution to the overheat protection vs the normal stat.

I have seen too many badly designed heaters to believe that all of them
will fail safely.

How is a non-flammable metal/sand heating element in an enclosed steel
space going to catch fire?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/10 17:16, Tabby wrote:
On Oct 19, 4:12 pm, Tim wrote:
On 19/10/10 10:10, Tabby wrote:

Loss of oil wont cause the thing to overheat, the stat will function
as normal. Its only the element that'll overheat and die.

Starting a fire as it does so?

That's why I drew caution to the overheat protection vs the normal stat.

I have seen too many badly designed heaters to believe that all of them
will fail safely.

How is a non-flammable metal/sand heating element in an enclosed steel
space going to catch fire?

NT

Causing a hotspot on the dry stell casing next to it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2010 17:16, Tabby wrote:

How is a non-flammable metal/sand heating element in an enclosed steel
space going to catch fire?

Presumably the element is at the bottom of the oil container, so the
heat is carried away by rising hot oil.

As the oil level drops it will cease to circulate, the element now being
near the top of the remaining oil.

The oil nearest the element will now receive the entire element output.

Do not leave it unattended!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/10 20:37, Andy Champ wrote:
On 19/10/2010 17:16, Tabby wrote:

How is a non-flammable metal/sand heating element in an enclosed steel
space going to catch fire?

Presumably the element is at the bottom of the oil container, so the
heat is carried away by rising hot oil.

As the oil level drops it will cease to circulate, the element now being
near the top of the remaining oil.

The oil nearest the element will now receive the entire element output.

Do not leave it unattended!

Andy

None of this would be a problem if regulations required:

a) High temp thermal fuse fixed to the element at the highest point (ie
lack of oil detector)

b) Lower temp (just under the boiling point of the oil) thermal fuse in
the oil close to the element.

That would constitute enough failsafes for me to feel happy. Alas
sometimes you're lucky if you get any thermal fuses - or if you do, that
they've been sensibly placed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

What! And end up paying more than 30 for a rad because of the cost of these
safety devices?

At least you will be warm as you watch the house burn down:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/10 21:25, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

:-

Yes - the 30 quid fan heaters from Argos were good value - they fried
after one year, for the reasons previously mentioned... Despite being
run on a hard floor, not carpet. One melted a hole right through the
plastic!

At least the rather more expensive oil rads I got shouldn't do that, and
will find a second home in the workshop to be once I eventually get CH.

I know that was toungue in cheek - but for the nay-sayers (if any):

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...ource=googleps

(In short - thermal fuses with various operating temps, 10A max normal
operating current, wait for it...

42p+VAT each...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28 pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

Transformer oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil

No idea whether there's anything nasty in it, but older transformer oils
contained PCB's, which are v. bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

15 years old puts your heater at c1995, which is way after 1981 when the
use of PCB's was banned in the UK. So very unlikely to be a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28 pm, Simon C. . wrote:
[...]

Why do you think it would use transformer oil?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:
Oil by nature is flammable, explosive even, as the radiator looses oil the
heating element will be able to heat the available oil to a hotter
temperature, should the thermostat fail and the element be left on to long the
oil could reach boiling point at which the vapours will be volatile, as the
oil is lost natural air will be drawn in to replace the void, the internal
atmosphere will become oxygen rich, this said their would be others signs like
bubbling boiling noises, smell of the hot oil being burned off into the air
long before the risk of fire, if the radiator is leaking get rid of it and buy
a new one they are not expensive.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Watts, Ukjb wrote:
This is all true, how ever given that their are millions of radiators fans and
heaters in use today, and let's say they should all have 3 or 4 safety cut out
functions on them we would be in dire shortage of radiator engineers as nobody
would have a working radiator. We are talking about radiators here not a
modern motor car

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Watts, Ukjb wrote:
I've got a cheap Chinese unbranded £11 heater in my shed it's about 7 years
old and has been abused from the day I got it and has never once needed any
maintenance, nor has it ever stopped working or overheated

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Osborne, Ukjb wrote:
It's certainly not transformer oil, given that it is around £15 a litre, the
oil would be worth more than the radiator. Their is no perticular oil. Every
manufacturer will use their own modified oil that has certain property's
related to the research that perticular company has carried out

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ukjb m wrote:

replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:
Oil by nature is flammable, explosive even, as the radiator looses oil the
heating element will be able to heat the available oil to a hotter
temperature, should the thermostat fail and the element be left on to long the
oil could reach boiling point at which the vapours will be volatile, as the
oil is lost natural air will be drawn in to replace the void, the internal
atmosphere will become oxygen rich, this said their would be others signs like
bubbling boiling noises, smell of the hot oil being burned off into the air
long before the risk of fire, if the radiator is leaking get rid of it and buy
a new one they are not expensive.

My faith in the EU, while great[1], is not absolute. But I do not
believe that they would encourage the sale of electric radiators full of
inflammable oil.
.... A quick Google suggests that in well-regulated markets they tend to
use siloxane oils which are not easily combustible. Very old ones might
use highly carcinogenic oils I've forgotten the name of (but not
inflammable, also used for potting transfomers many years ago), and
apparently in the USA sometimes vegetable oils have been used.

But from a uk perspective, burning oil is probably not a risk with a
reputable make.

[1] many refs, ibid.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2018 16:05, Roger Hayter wrote:

Very old ones might
use highly carcinogenic oils I've forgotten the name of (but not
inflammable, also used for potting transfomers many years ago), and
apparently in the USA sometimes vegetable oils have been used.

Oil filled transformers do explode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbQjd_Oo4Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 15:14:07 GMT, Ukjb
m wrote:

replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:

lots of stuff of no use to an 8 year old thread

followed by:-
"for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm
"

When I go to that horrible website the date of the last post in the
USENET thread is quite clearly visible in the top righthand corner :-

"posted on October 19, 2010, 9:19 pm"

Why do people have so much trouble seeing it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 1 December 2018 16:05:43 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Ukjb m wrote:
[...]

I daresay old ones & cheaper new ones use the cheapest suitable oil, which I believe is light mineral oil. It is of course highly flammable if heated & atomised. It would take more than 1 fault for that to happen, which is normally an acceptable safety level for electrical goods.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ukjb m wrote:

[...]

Another ancient OP you're replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2018 16:18, alan_m wrote:
On 01/12/2018 16:05, Roger Hayter wrote:

Very old ones might
use highly carcinogenic oils I've forgotten the name of (but not
inflammable, also used for potting transfomers many years ago), and
apparently in the USA sometimes vegetable oils have been used.

Oil filled transformers do explode!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbQjd_Oo4Q

Indeed, though that is from arcing inside followed by release of oil
sprays into the atmosphere. There is a *lot* of external energy being
supplied to a transformer.

Going back to the OPs suggestion, I don't believe you will get an oxygen
rich atmosphere inside in the scenario he describes. With air and oil on
a hot element, the oil will oxidise, and "getter" the oxygen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

m wrote:

replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:

lots of stuff of no use to an 8 year old thread

followed by:-
"for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm
"

When I go to that horrible website the date of the last post in the
USENET thread is quite clearly visible in the top righthand corner :-

"posted on October 19, 2010, 9:19 pm"

Why do people have so much trouble seeing it?

I think HOH invites people to answer questions on the home page (and
probably other places too) where the date isnt at all obvious or even
present. Its only when the link for context is generated that the date
becomes obvious. Look at this example.

https://www.homeownershub.com/answer...-digistat-4121

I cant see a date anywhere. I doubt its a new post though.

Such is the brilliance of the HOH interface, replies are all sorted by date
of first post, not the most recent answer so respondents using HOH not only
reply to ancient posts, they probably never see any replies to their
messages either unless they start a new thread, which they seem loath to
do.

HOH is about generating traffic to increase advertising revenue. Its not
designed to work.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec 2018 15:06:36 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Geo wrote:

When I go to that horrible website the date of the last post in the
USENET thread is quite clearly visible in the top righthand corner :-

"posted on October 19, 2010, 9:19 pm"

Why do people have so much trouble seeing it?

I think HOH invites people to answer questions on the home page (and
probably other places too) where the date isnt at all obvious or even
present. Its only when the link for context is generated that the date
becomes obvious. Look at this example.

https://www.homeownershub.com/answer...-digistat-4121

I cant see a date anywhere. I doubt its a new post though.

You are right - unbelievable - not the fault of the users after all.
What a **** website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

m wrote:

replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:

lots of stuff of no use to an 8 year old thread

followed by:-
"for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...us-662654-.htm
"

When I go to that horrible website the date of the last post in the
USENET thread is quite clearly visible in the top righthand corner :-

"posted on October 19, 2010, 9:19 pm"

Why do people have so much trouble seeing it?

I think HOH invites people to answer questions on the home page (and
probably other places too) where the date isnt at all obvious or even
present.

Yup, if you look at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...HFrontPage.png

the "best rated discussions" are not show with a date at the top level.

I wonder where it derives the ratings from?

(and more to the point, could we game it, so as to make it promote posts
of our choice?)

Such is the brilliance of the HOH interface, replies are all sorted by date
of first post, not the most recent answer so respondents using HOH not only
reply to ancient posts, they probably never see any replies to their
messages either unless they start a new thread, which they seem loath to
do.

Yup that seems to fit the MO - its very rare to ever get a reply to a
new HoH poster on an old thread, whereas sometimes you get one when they
are posting on a new thread.

Chances are if it stops promoting the old thread after a new HoH poster
has added to it, they can then only find it by potentially looking back
through tens of thousands of pages to find the thread again!

HOH is about generating traffic to increase advertising revenue. Its not
designed to work.

I would not object to the former so much, if it actually worked!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

m wrote:
replying to Tabby, Ukjb wrote:

Yup, if you look at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...HFrontPage.png

the "best rated discussions" are not show with a date at the top level.

I wonder where it derives the ratings from?

I always presumed they were purely random. I've not noticed any pattern to it.

(and more to the point, could we game it, so as to make it promote posts
of our choice?)

The wiki differences function is broken.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 14:31, wrote:

The wiki differences function is broken.

In what way?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 December 2018 16:03:22 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2018 14:31, tabbypurr wrote:

The wiki differences function is broken.

In what way?

try it, it lists every single line in an article, 99% of which hasn't changed.

Experience with oil filled baseboard heater vs oil filled radiator. [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 2nd 09 02:44 AM
Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater Merlin[_2_] Home Repair 43 January 3rd 08 04:05 AM
Oil Filled Radiator John UK diy 9 December 28th 07 11:57 AM
Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk? [email protected] Home Repair 23 December 30th 05 01:41 PM
Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxiderisk? m Ransley Home Repair 0 December 29th 05 01:48 PM