Posted to uk.d-i-y
alexander.keys1[_3_] alexander.keys1[_3_] is offline

Default Leaky oil-filled electric radiator. Dangerous?

On 18 Oct, 21:29, Simon C. . wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28*pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

I've come across 'EWT' fan heaters, they seem to be solidly built,
some models with metal cases, I used to work in an asylum seeker's
hostel, a nearby electric shop stocked them and they were popular with
the residents, but not with the site engineer as they overloaded the
rising busbars.... "THEY CANNAE TAKE ANYMORE CAP'N!", and indeed they
couldn't, one day the busbars overheated and bent together.

As for leaking oil radiators, the liquid may be flammable, move it
onto a non-flammable floor surface and contact the importer about
finding an approved repairer.