Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_3_] Dave Osborne[_3_] is offline

Default Leaky oil-filled electric radiator. Dangerous?

Simon C. wrote:
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:44:50 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On Oct 18, 6:28 pm, Simon C. . wrote:
I've a free-standing [15 yrs old?] electric oil-filled rad in the
spare room downstairs, what I pretentiously call my 'office'.

I notice the carpet underneath has developed a stain, puddle shaped.
No real colour or smell, but I can only assume the radia Not likely to contain dioxins or similar
nasties is it? The room is well used and don't want to end up
poisoning our kids - or us really.

At 15 yrs old, no, no PCBs/dioxins.

Thanks for that. Do you know what sort of oil its likely to be filled
with? Nothing else nasty? I get a bit paranoid about home safety after
a near nasty fire a while ago [as mentioned in a prev thread] Its an
'EWT' radiator, German manufacture aiui.

Transformer oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil

No idea whether there's anything nasty in it, but older transformer oils
contained PCB's, which are v. bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

15 years old puts your heater at c1995, which is way after 1981 when the
use of PCB's was banned in the UK. So very unlikely to be a problem.