Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gel kneepads

I had a new knee joint fitted a while ago, and the knee is still a bit
tender. Gel kneepads would probably help with some DIY jobs. I was
thinking of getting some from Screwfix as there's a branch not far away.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 30, 11:15*am, Peter Twydell wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads. The
snickers ones are good but cost ££, but then what are your knees worth
to you? £50 for decent trousers and pads vs pain, suffering of damaged
knees. I hope yours get better soon.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 July, 11:46, Dave Starling wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter Twydell wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

IMHO they needn't be gel either - unless anyone can come up with a
realistic reason why they are "better" than ordinary squishy foam
kneepads?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Dave Starling writes
On Jul 30, 11:15*am, Peter Twydell wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads. The
snickers ones are good but cost ££, but then what are your knees worth
to you? £50 for decent trousers and pads vs pain, suffering of damaged
knees. I hope yours get better soon.

Dave.

Thanks. It's just the right one, getting better all the time apart from
the stiffness and slight tenderness. I'm riding my push bike again after
two years.

I don't intend using them for long periods, just things like taking the
wheels off the car, although I'd probably use a seat for that. As I'm
6'6" my legs tend to get in the way in confined spaces, so kneeling is
sometimes the only method.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On 30 July, 11:46, Dave Starling wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter Twydell wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

IMHO they needn't be gel either - unless anyone can come up with a
realistic reason why they are "better" than ordinary squishy foam
kneepads?

I'd be interested to hear that. So: gel or foam?

Cheers
Jim K

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 30 July, 11:46, Dave Starling wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter Twydell wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

Me too. My 'uniform' consists of navy bib & brace which have knee pad
'pockets' in them. Less than £20 with the logo embroided. Dead comfy,
especially if you are of the FB type, lots of pockets.

Get mine from Bell Workwear.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Jim K wrote:
On 30 July, 11:46, Dave wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

Me too. My 'uniform' consists of navy bib& brace which have knee pad
'pockets' in them. Less than £20 with the logo embroided. Dead comfy,
especially if you are of the FB type, lots of pockets.

Get mine from Bell Workwear.

Would an occupational therapy department be able to offer advice or even
samples to try?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:15:02 +0100, Peter Twydell wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

I've tried a couple of differnt strap on types and they are a PITA if
you are up and down a bit rather than kneeling at a task for a while,
in which case I'll try to sit rather than kneel.

Intrested about the knee pad pockets. Where abouts in relation to the
knee does te pad go when you stand up? What do people use in the
pocket? As I haven't got on with the strap on things I know use a bit
of anti fatigue floor mat(*) to kneel or sit on. I guess stuitably
cut bits of that would work well in knee pockets.

(*) Medium/high density foam sheet about 1cm thick in bits about 60cm
square with jigsaw interlocking edges so you can join 'em together to
cover a hard floor to make it more comfortable for standing on.
CostCo have it but I think I got mine from
Alidle.

http://www.morgan111morgan.com/home-...tigue-interloc
king-foam-floor-mats-5049.html

But don't pay those prices for a single mat. CostCo have a pack of 6
(maybe 8) with edging strips for just over a tenner inc VAT IIRC.
Alidle was also about a tenner for several mats, no edging strip.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 30 July, 11:46, Dave Starling wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter Twydell wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

IMHO they needn't be gel either - unless anyone can come up with a
realistic reason why they are "better" than ordinary squishy foam
kneepads?

Cheers
Jim K

Squishy foam ones better than the hard and slippery plastic ones. Never
tried gel: how does it stay in the right place? The strap design of my
cheap ones could be better as they dig into the back of my knees in my
preferred work attire of shorts. Yes, they do make your knees sweat, but
weeding in our very stony garden would be agony without them: some days I
found I was never taking them off!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PJ" wrote in message ...
Jim K wrote:
On 30 July, 11:46, Dave wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads.

I agree 100%.

Me too. My 'uniform' consists of navy bib& brace which have knee pad
'pockets' in them. Less than £20 with the logo embroided. Dead comfy,
especially if you are of the FB type, lots of pockets.

Get mine from Bell Workwear.

Would an occupational therapy department be able to offer advice or even
samples to try?

Probably, but I bet they'd be a lot more expensive than your local health
and safety gear supplier: there is lots of competition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In message
, Dave
Starling writes
On Jul 30, 11:15 am, Peter Twydell wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular
pads they sell?

The strap-on ones (ooer) make your knees sweaty and cut off
circulation if they are too tight and when you kneel down for long
periods. Get some work trousers that have pockets for kneepads. The
snickers ones are good but cost ££, but then what are your knees worth
to you? £50 for decent trousers and pads vs pain, suffering of damaged
knees. I hope yours get better soon.

Dave.

Thanks. It's just the right one, getting better all the time apart from
the stiffness and slight tenderness. I'm riding my push bike again after
two years.

I don't intend using them for long periods,

You will find all sorts of excuses for wearing them once you have: it's
amazing how much kneeling we actually do without thinking about it and how
much easier it is with padded knees: why the hell didn't we evolve them?
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I think it's much easier to be hands free by having the pads attached, and
also one always seems to end up falling off the edge of mats or overreaching
in trying not to. And also you can kneel in confined places, over joists
etc. I should think a way to keep 'knee pockets' on the knee, would be to
put laces above and below the pocket. I would not imagine the material
would last very long though. Perhaps the pad should be glued to the
trousers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

we evolve them? S

I wear my built in kneepads all day every day. Agreed, you don't realise
how often you kneel down doing DIY.

You only have to kneel on a dropped screw once to convince yourself :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Intrested about the knee pad pockets. Where abouts in relation to the
knee does the pad go when you stand up?

It doesnt really go anywhere, you don't know you are wearing them. They
load into an upside down pocket that has a flap at the bottom so you can
tuck them in.

What do people use in the
pocket? As I haven't got on with the strap on things I know use a bit
of anti fatigue floor mat(*) to kneel or sit on. I guess stuitably
cut bits of that would work well in knee pockets.

You just buy purpose designed inserts;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work.../sd3186/p92667

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

I think it's much easier to be hands free by having the pads
attached, and also one always seems to end up falling off the edge of
mats or overreaching in trying not to. And also you can kneel in
confined places, over joists etc. I should think a way to keep 'knee
pockets' on the knee, would be to put laces above and below the
pocket. I would not imagine the material would last very long
though. Perhaps the pad should be glued to the trousers...

The trousers have upside down pockets to hold pads like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work.../sd3186/p92667

They are inserted up into the pockets and a flap holds them in place.

Its actually difficult to kneel without a knee landing in the right place.

I wear mine 24/7 or more accurately 8/5. They are always there and you
don't notice them until you kneel down.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 30, 11:48*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

You just buy purpose designed inserts;http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work...n/Kneepad+Inse...

I have used those in the past. Next time you need some, try the
snickers inserts. Double the price, but found they dont squish as much
as those black ones. Also the bit your knee cap is pressed against is
a much thicker wedge shape.

Someone asked about the area of trousers wearing out on the knees. Yes
they do eventually but by that time the trousers are worn out anyway.
In that state they are ok for painting in or other throw away tasks.

Another plus point I would mention about the snickers are the elephant
ears pockets on the front of some versions. Very handy for small
tools, phones and things, but then I never got on with carrying a big
hefty tool belt.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

You just buy purpose designed
inserts;http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work...n/Kneepad+Inse...

I have used those in the past. Next time you need some, try the
snickers inserts. Double the price, but found they dont squish as much
as those black ones. Also the bit your knee cap is pressed against is
a much thicker wedge shape.

I'll check those out ta.

Someone asked about the area of trousers wearing out on the knees. Yes
they do eventually but by that time the trousers are worn out anyway.
In that state they are ok for painting in or other throw away tasks.

100% agreed

Another plus point I would mention about the snickers are the elephant
ears pockets on the front of some versions. Very handy for small
tools, phones and things, but then I never got on with carrying a big
hefty tool belt.

I can't do tool belts either. I fall into the FB category having a 42"
waist and a 52" chest. Bloody near impossible to get a tool belt that fits &
doesn't slip down.

Pockets are the way forward :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Spamlet wrote:

I think it's much easier to be hands free by having the pads
attached, and also one always seems to end up falling off the edge of
mats or overreaching in trying not to. And also you can kneel in
confined places, over joists etc. I should think a way to keep 'knee
pockets' on the knee, would be to put laces above and below the
pocket. I would not imagine the material would last very long
though. Perhaps the pad should be glued to the trousers...

The trousers have upside down pockets to hold pads like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Work.../sd3186/p92667

They are inserted up into the pockets and a flap holds them in place.

Its actually difficult to kneel without a knee landing in the right place.

I wear mine 24/7 or more accurately 8/5. They are always there and you
don't notice them until you kneel down.

And which are the trousers that you use: the 'Action' ones on the same link
(look strangely cheap); or the 'Buildtex'? I'm beginning to think I may be
in the market for some of these - and even some temporarily paint free
shorts too :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

[...]

Neither. They don't do my size.

I get mine from a co called Bell Workwear. These;
http://www.portwest.com/products2.php?item=153

About £15.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
I had a new knee joint fitted a while ago, and the knee is still a bit
tender. Gel kneepads would probably help with some DIY jobs. I was thinking
of getting some from Screwfix as there's a branch not far away.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations of any particular pads
they sell?

Along with many others I recommend trousers with built in knee pads.
I bought a pair from Screwfix and was so impressed a bought another one :-)
I've had a look and I can't find the ones I bought (though it was a while
back) but Screwfix do several ranges, and the knee pads to go with them.
I wear them for all work because you can bang your knees in many ways
without kneeling down and (touch wood) I have had no knee problems while I
have been using them.
You tent to forget that you have knee pads in until your knee contacts
something, then you breathe a sigh of releif.

On mine, the front of the pockets is starting to wear out on both pairs, but
I think I will patch them because the rest of the trouser is fine.
Although they do have self-unzipping flies which can be draughty at times.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder