Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting metal (a van)

Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light;
apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the
odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jonelle wrote:
Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light;
apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the
odd load of waste to the local tip).

If they are single skinned where you want the window should be quite easy.
The trick will be finding the correct glass and seal at a reasonable
price. If the only source is a camper van maker they're likely to cost. A
mini bus in a breaker's yard might yield some useful bits.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonelle" wrote in message
news
Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

I would suspect Gloss would stick to scotchbrited car paint fairly well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonelle" wrote in message
news
Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

resistant finish than car paints of the time. The long drying time also made
it easier to get a good finish with brush application, so they were also
used by people restoring old cars.

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light;

Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car for VAT
purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:04:11 +0100, Jonelle
had this to say:

Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Dare I suggest Hammerite?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:27:58 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:04:11 +0100, Jonelle
had this to say:

Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Dare I suggest Hammerite?

In my experience Hammerite just isn't flexible enough for car
bodywork. It ends up cracking and flaking off.

I would use a brushing cellulose enamel specifically designed for
brush painting vehicles. Keep the vehicle well ventilated when using,
and take frequent breaks to avoid getting fumed up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonelle wrote:
Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

Dont.
get some basic halfords spray primer - white - and use that instead. It
should key to what you have.

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light;
apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the
odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cant comment
Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
.
x.invalid
Jonelle wrote:

Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use -
camping, biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot
lighter. I was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and
an eggshell type of finish. This will be fine for the three
walls (which are ply-lined) but I was wondering if it's also OK
for the roof.

Any opinions?

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in
the sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the
light; apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of
taking the odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cheers
John

Ordinary alkyd gloss will suffice, but you should use a coach
enamel for this type of job, coach enamels have a longer window
for drying times so painting larger arears will keep a wet edge
for a longer period, unlike ordinary faster drying gloss paints.

Can't help with the windows though.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Jonelle" wrote in message
[...]

Would it make a difference to the Dartford toll charges as well?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vans vs Cars (was Painting metal (a van))

Colin Bignell wrote:

Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car

for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Eugh -- never knew - or thought - anything about that, Colin. In what
way does it affect the resale value? (I'd would expect it would go *up*
not down as you seem to imply).

I must say, that acquiring this van has taken the lid of various
nasty-looking issues called "VAT", Trade", "Trade Use", etc etc which
I'd never thought about. My first 'real' car was an Escort van in the
70s: it was great, which is what took me back to the idea. But times
have changed and I have an awful feeling that I'm on thin ice in some
"regulatory areas" that I never knew about. I must stress again that I
have no intention whatever of using this van "for profit or trade": it's
for recreation!

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonelle wrote:
Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light;
apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the
odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cheers
John

skylights let in more light
and are much more private
when parked up in streets
and anywhere!

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 21:45, Owain wrote:
On 20 Oct, 20:42, John L wrote:

Colin Bignell wrote:
Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car
for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

... *I must stress again that I
have no intention whatever of using this van "for profit or trade": it's
for recreation!

Your insurer will also have to be informed of non-manufacturer
approved modifications to the vehicle, and may be unwilling to insure
a van (even if it's been turned into a car) on a SDP-only policy

Owain

Some car insurers get snotty about vans for private use, lot more
common than it was though and van insurance is available on all the
comparison sites.
Get whanged on spares for a commercial vehicle though, even car
derived ones, exhausts , brakes, alternators all the consumables are
more expensive.

Would the VAT issue not only affect it if you fitted more seats , or
is totally on more glass, and does a sunroof keep it out of the
minefield?

Vans hold value well, but for similar money can get a lot better
specified hatchback, things like air con tend to get left out.

Use carpet or underlay behind ply lining overlaping edges, then cut
back after its screwed in, it adds heat and noise insulation, stops
some of the paneling drone, and most importantly squeaks that will
have you leaning in the back for weeks with bits of foam.

Floor , Dont screw it down, being able to pull it out and ,shake /
brush is invaluable, layer of cardboard under hardboard `floor` add
carpet and underlay to taste, keeps road roar down and makes cheap to
replace surface, keep a tarp as a van liner for grotty jobs.

Window tint is worth it, its a van you can black rears out , but a
reflective or deep tint still allows use of rear view mirror. Velcro
and spring clamps enable a curtain behind the seats, add 12V accesory
sockets in the rear, try charging 2 phones on one fag lighter
socket...

Vans are handy, but not a particulary cheap option.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 9:04*am, Jonelle wrote:
Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping,
biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. *I
was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of
finish. *This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but
I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the
sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light; *
apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the
odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cheers
John

Modern oil based paints can be used, but theyre not overly hard
wearing. Non-gloss, eg eggshell, picks up dirt badly.

If you do use household gloss, at least spray it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John L" wrote in message
Colin Bignell wrote:

Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car

for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Eugh -- never knew - or thought - anything about that, Colin. In what
way does it affect the resale value? (I'd would expect it would go *up*
not down as you seem to imply).

A van is preesumed to be for business use, even if there is some 'benefical
use' which is more to do with PAYE. Business use of a car has to be
documented. As the main market for second hand vans are businesses, one that
is a car for VAT purposes will be less desirable to the main buyers. At
least car tax has gone, so you won't have to pay that if you convert a van
these days.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
Would the VAT issue not only affect it if you fitted more seats , or
is totally on more glass, ...

A van becomes a car for VAT purposes if either of the following applies:

One or more seats are fitted in the rear body
Side windows are fitted behind the driver's seat

A minibus will also become a car if seats are removed to below the minimum
number.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Oct, 10:41, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

Would the VAT issue not only affect it if you fitted more seats , or
is totally on more glass, ...

A van becomes a car for VAT purposes if either of the following applies:

One or more seats are fitted in the rear body
Side windows are fitted behind the driver's seat

A minibus will also become a car if seats are removed to below the minimum
number.

Colin Bignell

Thanks Colin, useful information.

Though think the VAT issue will only really affect newer vehicles,
past a certain age, business buyers for vans will be limited to
smaller non VAT registered concerns.

Minibuses are a whole different world, MOT standards are high to say
the least. Have seen an 11 page MOT failure for a minibus.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

Would the VAT issue not only affect it if you fitted more seats , or
is totally on more glass, ...

A van becomes a car for VAT purposes if either of the following applies:

One or more seats are fitted in the rear body
Side windows are fitted behind the driver's seat

A minibus will also become a car if seats are removed to below the minimum
number.

Colin Bignell

Thanks Colin, useful information.

*Though think the VAT issue will only really affect newer vehicles,
past a certain age, business buyers for vans will be limited to
smaller non VAT registered concerns.

And just read your other post, can now see that being a car would have
an effect whatever the size of business.

Where do crew cabs fit into the picture?

Thanks
Adam

Minibuses are a whole different world, MOT standards are high to say
the least. Have seen an 11 page MOT failure for a minibus.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car
for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Eugh -- never knew - or thought - anything about that, Colin. In what
way does it affect the resale value? (I'd would expect it would go *up*
not down as you seem to imply).

A van is preesumed to be for business use, even if there is some
'benefical use' which is more to do with PAYE. Business use of a car has
to be documented. As the main market for second hand vans are
businesses, one that is a car for VAT purposes will be less desirable to
the main buyers. At least car tax has gone, so you won't have to pay
that if you convert a van these days.

As soon as a non-vat-reg "entity" buys it, the vat is paid, and it can
never be "vat-qualifying" again. Plus, few businesses need vans which
have been home-converted into campers...

The point about tolls is a good one - and extends to anywhere that may
draw a line between cars and vans, including the local tip. Many refuse
to let a "van" in - even where it's clearly not for business purposes -
without paying trade waste charges.

As far as the paint goes - it's painted metal. Just like your garage door/
gates/drainpipe etc... Clean it, key it, slap on the Dulux.

Top tip - bare painted metal on the inside of a van makes for a LOT of
condensation if you're kipping in it. Leaving a window open is fine, if
it's not too cold out - and if you're camped somewhere secure. Bear in
mind that a lot of camper vans have been targeted for robberies by
scrotes who fill them with gas to knock the occupants out, before
breaking in. Minimising the risk by not leaving windows open is wise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
Where do crew cabs fit into the picture?

I've only seen them on pick-ups and the open rear body excludes those from
the rules.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Oct, 12:35, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

Where do crew cabs fit into the picture?

I've only seen them on pick-ups and the open rear body excludes those from
the rules.

Colin Bignell

Van crew cabs are pretty common from all the major suspects, usually 7
seater with load space behind. See a lot of Network Rails around here,
equipped to work out in the wilds, fridge, microwave, full hand wash
with hot and cold running water.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Where do crew cabs fit into the picture?

I've only seen them on pick-ups and the open rear body excludes those
from the rules.

Van crew cabs are pretty common from all the major suspects, usually 7
seater with load space behind. See a lot of Network Rails around here,
equipped to work out in the wilds, fridge, microwave, full hand wash
with hot and cold running water.

Yeh, the odd one round here, too.

But - going back to the original question - VAT status of a used vehicle
has nothing to do with the vehicle's spec, and everything to do with the
chain of previous ownership. If it's ever been owned by a non-VAT-reg-
business, then it's no longer VAT-qualifying.

If, otoh, it has been, then...
http://www.compucars.co.uk/used-cars...-sale/?1023704

I think Colin may be confused with the co.car tax rules, which used to
regard crew-cab pickups such as the Mitsubishi L200 or Nissan Navara as
"commercial vehicles", giving the user a nominal tax bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

See a lot of Network Rails around here,
equipped to work out in the wilds, fridge, microwave, full hand wash
with hot and cold running water.

Complete with elsan type loo in the case of the welfare wagon, often still
in its cardboard box!

The alternators for the 240V stuff don't seem to last long.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:08:47 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Top tip - bare painted metal on the inside of a van makes for a LOT of
condensation if you're kipping in it. Leaving a window open is fine, if
it's not too cold out - and if you're camped somewhere secure. Bear in
mind that a lot of camper vans have been targeted for robberies by
scrotes who fill them with gas to knock the occupants out, before
breaking in. Minimising the risk by not leaving windows open is wise.

wtf sort of gas do you fill a van with that knocks the occupants out
without actually killing them? Not that I suppose the scrotes care, but it
would up the ante, seriousness of offence-wise.

--
John Stumbles

You'll make some woman a fine husband, Dr Frankenstein
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian
saying something like:

Bear in
mind that a lot of camper vans have been targeted for robberies by
scrotes who fill them with gas to knock the occupants out,

I heard that too, but I never came across one single documented incident
where it actually happened, all the stories of it were just stories.
I await the real case of it occurring.

painting wood and metal benpost UK diy 4 July 9th 08 10:28 PM
Painting a metal door? Cshenk Home Repair 19 November 4th 07 01:59 PM
Painting a metal roof Mamba Home Repair 0 October 31st 07 09:25 PM
Help with painting metal railing? john Home Repair 12 July 27th 06 01:27 PM
Painting metal Dorothy Roper Home Repair 1 August 13th 05 04:43 PM