Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multi -tool

Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another
brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no
paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2014 18:17, soup wrote:
leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Not the tool itself, the snap that holds its wee container thing together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2014 18:17, soup wrote:
Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another
brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no
paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).

I have a Leatherman crunch (the pliers have an overcentre toggle like a
mole wrench). It is very well made, although I don't like the scalloped
knife and the file is a bit feeble. You would not want to put too much
torque through the screwdrivers either, but the pliers are excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another
brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no
paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).

FWIW most multi-tools have lock blades and therefore could be regarded
as offensive weapons.

From https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm

quote
It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place
(with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is
less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal
to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if
you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is
similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade
closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in
position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that
mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se
(because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not
as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place
without reasonable excuse is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed
article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there
are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a
public place (screwdriver, can opener).

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an
instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good
reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example,
someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected
to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more
difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be
occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or
scout meeting (which is easily checked).

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of
four years.
/quote

Just saying.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
snip

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an
instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had
good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for
example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably
be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be
far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but
there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial
arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of
four years.
/quote

Just saying.

That's a worry ... I've been carrying a Leatherman Wave round various
government buildings for around 20 years. At the House of Commons they
ask you to put it in a plastic tray while you go through the scanner and
then give it back to you. I'll have to let them know they should arrest
me. At least at the Victoria Passport Office they keep it at the
security desk until you leave.

--
Nick (=----)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2014 09:57, Nick wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
snip

[...]

The leatherman knife has a rounded end, therefore not very good for
stabbing people. Also, I have always found the scalloped blade fairly
useless, and have never managed to sharpen it effectively even with the
proper tool. I've speculated that these features might be designed to
meet US (or some other?) regulations, does anyone know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 30/10/2014 09:57, Nick wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
snip

[...]

The blade in my Leatherman is pointed and sharp. But, then, it's probably
over 10 years old, before all these Safety Elves got involved.

Also, I have always found the scalloped blade fairly
useless, and have never managed to sharpen it effectively even with the
proper tool. I've speculated that these features might be designed to
meet US (or some other?) regulations, does anyone know?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 30/10/2014 09:57, Nick wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
snip

[...]

newshound doesn't reveal his model or what his 'proper tool' was. The
Wave has both a pointed blade and a scalloped blade, which is the one
with a rounded end. Both of these are still sharp, though the scalloped
is much more so - slitting grain and feed bags with no effort. I can't
remember when the last sharpening session was, though I have the 'proper
tool' from the Leatherman UK dealers. It does like a nice dunk in light
oil from time to time.
ICBAed to check, but I think the scallop blade is designed for descaling
fish.

Also, I have always found the scalloped blade fairly
useless, and have never managed to sharpen it effectively even with the
proper tool. I've speculated that these features might be designed to
meet US (or some other?) regulations, does anyone know?

--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote in
o.uk:

The leatherman knife has a rounded end, therefore not very good for
stabbing people. Also, I have always found the scalloped blade fairly
useless, and have never managed to sharpen it effectively even with the
proper tool. I've speculated that these features might be designed to
meet US (or some other?) regulations, does anyone know?

There's a good chance it came the legislation in the original country of
origin/design but I don't know for sure.

I just wanted to point out, as you mention the shape of your blade, that
the UK legal position takes no notice of the pointiness of the blade. It
can look like a bit of cutlery but by the letter of the law you are on a
loser if you come across some jobsworth copper who chooses to write you up
for having a locking blade in the wrong curcumstances (the right
circumstances are very limited).

Again, just for info.

--
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-10-30, newshound wrote:
The leatherman knife has a rounded end,

Mine doesn't.

Nor do any of mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2014 18:17, soup wrote:
Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another
brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no
paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).

I've been carrying a "Leatherman Squirt" in my hill-walking rucksack for
a couple of years. I've rarely used it, but there's no sign of rust
despite the damp conditions, and it appears very well made. It only has
a 40mm blade, but has wire cutters. I bought it after encountering a
sheep trapped in discarded fence wire in a stream on a mountain. Sheep
are not very bright.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 12:16:59 PM UTC, LumpHammer wrote:
On 29/10/2014 18:17, soup wrote:
Have been using the Stanley version but leaving it in the bike pannier
has resulted in it being a bit rusty nothing devastating but enough for
me to get my finger out and get a new one.

Are the Leatherman brand worth the price premium or is there another
brand that has better quality.

Quality is the over riding factor but price will be considered (no
paying three times the price for something that is only [say] 10% better).

I've been carrying a "Leatherman Squirt" in my hill-walking rucksack for
a couple of years. I've rarely used it, but there's no sign of rust
despite the damp conditions, and it appears very well made. It only has
a 40mm blade, but has wire cutters. I bought it after encountering a
sheep trapped in discarded fence wire in a stream on a mountain. Sheep
are not very bright.

On my second Leatherman Juice c2. First one robbed by airport security, (Would anyone believe it was actually scrapped ?)
Pocket sized so its always with me. Feels fairly indestructible. Knife, screwdrivers, pliers. corkscrew, bottle opener. First one had scissors instead of corkscrew. Probably more useful
Indispensable.

Multi tool ss UK diy 18 December 6th 13 03:39 PM
Lidl multi tool and Aldi multi tool David.WE.Roberts UK diy 12 February 9th 13 11:47 PM
Multi-Tool Question Michael Dobony Home Repair 17 December 10th 10 04:09 AM
HF Multi-tool Lobby Dosser[_3_] Woodworking 0 July 11th 10 03:09 AM
Multi-tool Mk. I DGDevin Woodworking 3 January 30th 10 09:18 PM