JK

Default DIY damp injection

Part of my flat always feels colder and damper than the rest. It has no
cavity in the walls and they always feel cold. I don't have any rising
damp, but there was some penetrating damp last year until I discovered where
it came from, and the walls pretty much dried out. But it still feels sort
of clammy in there. I was wondering about hiring the kit and injecting the
walls with that fluid (whatever it is). Would it likely help, or should I
forget the idea?

Thanks

John

BigWallop

"JK" wrote in message
Part of my flat always feels colder and damper than the rest. It has no
cavity in the walls and they always feel cold. I don't have any rising
damp, but there was some penetrating damp last year until I discovered

where
it came from, and the walls pretty much dried out. But it still feels

sort
of clammy in there. I was wondering about hiring the kit and injecting

the
walls with that fluid (whatever it is). Would it likely help, or should I
forget the idea?

Thanks

John

Forget the idea. The injection damp course will not insulate the wall.
Because there is no cavity, the wall is leaking heat out and allowing cold
in, so your best idea would be to dry line the interior and install some
foam insulation. This should increase the heat retaining properties of the
wall and stop it feeling so clammy.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Paul

There is always that danger that you can trap damp IN with such a treatment.
That's what always slightly concerns me about these waterproofers you can
apply to external brickwork - how is the moisture in the brickwork supposed
to get out (unless the waterproofer is permeable). What is your external
wall surface? If its painted render it may be that a modern non-breathable
paint has been used which is preventing the wall from drying out thoroughly.
Also you should remember that walls that have been subjected to considerable
penetrating damp can take a long time to dry out.

With solid wall construction there were basically two ways of controlling
damp internally - firstly the walls were lined and hence the internal
surface was kept away from the damp external wall, and secondly there was
also plenty of ventilation (via chimneys and the windows) to keep the
internal moisture content low.

Paul

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"JK" wrote in message
[...]

JK

BigWallop wrote:
"JK" wrote in message
Part of my flat always feels colder and damper than the rest. It
has no cavity in the walls and they always feel cold. I don't have
any rising damp, but there was some penetrating damp last year until
I discovered where it came from, and the walls pretty much dried
out. But it still feels sort of clammy in there. I was wondering
about hiring the kit and injecting the walls with that fluid
(whatever it is). Would it likely help, or should I forget the idea?

Forget the idea. The injection damp course will not insulate the
wall. Because there is no cavity, the wall is leaking heat out and
allowing cold in, so your best idea would be to dry line the interior
and install some foam insulation. This should increase the heat
retaining properties of the wall and stop it feeling so clammy.

Do you mean that all in one thick insulating board with foil on the back.
Scary, never done anything like that!

Grunff

JK wrote:

Do you mean that all in one thick insulating board with foil on the back.
Scary, never done anything like that!

If you're scared by insulation board, damp proof injections must
terrify you!

Seriously, it's much easier to dry line. While I'm here, I'll
second BigWallop's advice - injecting won't achieve anything.
Don't bother.

--
Grunff

Michael Mcneil

"JK" wrote in message

Part of my flat always feels colder and damper than the rest. It has no
cavity in the walls and they always feel cold. I don't have any rising
damp, but there was some penetrating damp last year until I discovered where
it came from, and the walls pretty much dried out. But it still feels sort
of clammy in there. I was wondering about hiring the kit and injecting the
walls with that fluid (whatever it is). Would it likely help, or should I
forget the idea?

Was it like that when you moved in?

Is your flat on the ground floor?

Do you have adequate ventilation in the part of the flat that you refer
to as: "But it still feels sort of clammy in there."

Quite often people bring damp problems on themselves by changing the way
a room or the home was intended to be used. Failing to keep water
channels free, both on the roof and on the ground near walls etc is the
obvious way but quite often in a bid to cut heating bills the vents in a
room are blocked. Or perhaps a kitchen is installed in a different part
of the house, a chimney blocked but the flue left open. All sorts of
reasons that get overlooked by all sorts of people -including experts.

Grunff

JK wrote:

Just looked into it - a layer of Celotex insulation is 45mm, they specify a
25mm gap, then plasterboar at 12.5mm so you lose 82.5mm from the size of the
room, which was not big in the first place. Any idea if there's a more
compact solution?

Foam backed plasterboard. Never used it, but it is widely available.

--
Grunff

JK

Grunff wrote:
JK wrote:

Do you mean that all in one thick insulating board with foil on the
back. Scary, never done anything like that!

If you're scared by insulation board, damp proof injections must
terrify you!

Seriously, it's much easier to dry line. While I'm here, I'll
second BigWallop's advice - injecting won't achieve anything.
Don't bother.

I can drill, but I can't plaster!

Just looked into it - a layer of Celotex insulation is 45mm, they specify a
25mm gap, then plasterboar at 12.5mm so you lose 82.5mm from the size of the
room, which was not big in the first place. Any idea if there's a more
compact solution?

JK

JK

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"JK" wrote in message

[...]

It's a small addition to the rear of the house. It has a flat roof and a
concrete floor and no cavity in the walls. Originally it was a (chilly)
bathroom and a utility area off the kitchen. I think it was done on the
cheap by the GLC. I think it was never designed with warmth in mind, so
you're right, in a way, except I'm trying to bring warmth to an area that is
naturally cold!

JK

Grunff wrote:
JK wrote:

Just looked into it - a layer of Celotex insulation is 45mm, they
specify a 25mm gap, then plasterboar at 12.5mm so you lose 82.5mm
from the size of the room, which was not big in the first place.
Any idea if there's a more compact solution?

Foam backed plasterboard. Never used it, but it is widely available.

Found it. Kingspam Thermawall, very cheap, variety of thicknesses. Cheers.
Still scary though, all that stuff about window and door reveals, no idea
what the terminology means!

Rising damp on party wall in semi-det Victorian house Richard UK diy 4 October 6th 03 02:09 PM
is this some sort of damp ? robgraham UK diy 4 September 16th 03 11:21 AM
Possible damp upstairs bay David Hearn UK diy 6 September 12th 03 04:24 PM
Damp garage Jon Read UK diy 6 August 29th 03 04:18 PM
Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM