Jon Read

Default Damp garage

Not a problem as such, I'm just thinking of how I can improve things in
my garage. It's a bit damp and spidery in there, and I'm concerned that
using it for storage might not be a great idea come Autumn and Winter.

It has a concrete floor, brick walls, wood/felt roof and a wooden door.
Is there much I can do to help prevent damp in there? Obviously it's
never going to be totally dry, but I was wondering about sealing the
floor and/or walls with something.

Cheers,

Peter Ashby

In article ,
Jon Read wrote:

Not a problem as such, I'm just thinking of how I can improve things in
my garage. It's a bit damp and spidery in there, and I'm concerned that
using it for storage might not be a great idea come Autumn and Winter.

It has a concrete floor, brick walls, wood/felt roof and a wooden door.
Is there much I can do to help prevent damp in there? Obviously it's
never going to be totally dry, but I was wondering about sealing the
floor and/or walls with something.

Firstly you need to determine where the moisture is coming from. Mine
used to be damp, its a concrete sectional and the water came in under
the walls. I fixed it with some trowelling putty stuff from B&Q after
some advice in here and now it is very dry. Open to humidity in the air
but that is all, no other dampness comes in.

I would give it a damn good clean, taking note of where the dirt is as
this can often be an indication. then either wait for the next rain
shower or get the hose out and look for where the water is coming in.
Seems to me you have three main entry points, the roof, the walls or
coming up through the floor. All are fixable to a degree but for advice
we really need to know what the problem is.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
BillR

Jon Read wrote:
Not a problem as such, I'm just thinking of how I can improve things
in my garage. It's a bit damp and spidery in there, and I'm
concerned that using it for storage might not be a great idea come
Autumn and Winter.

The biggest source of damp in my garage is caused by putting wet cars in it
and closing the door.
Tools can go rusty in no time if care is not taken.

Christian McArdle

or
coming up through the floor

How do you fix that one?

A DPM (damp proof membrane) which is a thick plastic sheet. This will raise
the floor a considerable amount, due to extra screed, though. This might be
illegal in a garage integrated into a house, which requires a dropped floor
so that exhaust fumes (which sink) don't flow over into the house through
the door.

Christian.

Garage door opener for side hung doors. David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 August 9th 03 06:20 PM
Asbestos garage MGA UK diy 9 July 31st 03 12:36 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM
Painting the garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 17th 03 07:49 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM