Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom heater pull cord

A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:18:19 -0800 (PST), Lino expert
wrote:

A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.

I wouldn't bet on the switch being a replacable part. It's not in
the few I've looked in over last ~20 years. I modified a Dimplex
one I bought ~20 years ago so the switch operated a contactor,
and that's still working fine. That one had plenty of space for
the contactor inside as other variants of it had either a light
or a shaver transformer inside, and this one just had an empty
compartment. In some more recent ones, I make a point of not
using the pullcord and switch them on/off at the FCU. The
pullcord switches in them seem to have a rather short life.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 5:18*pm, Lino expert wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

Wire it through a seperate pull cord switch as used for showers and
link out the one in the heater.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.

Try here
http://gwhitedist.co.uk/2.html
or here
http://www.dimplex.co.uk/corporate_i...le_Service.htm

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.

Try herehttp://gwhitedist.co.uk/2.html
or herehttp://www.dimplex.co.uk/corporate_information/aftersale_Service.htm

Stuart- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again, very handy...and thanks to the other answerers too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 17:18, Lino expert wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

If it has just gone out of guarantee, you still have a claim against
the manufacturer on the basis that the equipment has not lasted it's
expected life and therefore is not fit for purpose. I would have
thought that such a heater has a ten year life and correspondingly you
should be able to reclaim 90% of it's value - or alternatively get a
replacement for 10% of its price.

I haven't got the various regulations to hand but I'm sure there will
be others coming along who will back me up on this and give chapter
and verse.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
On 25 Jan, 17:18, Lino expert wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

If it has just gone out of guarantee, you still have a claim against
the manufacturer on the basis that the equipment has not lasted it's
expected life and therefore is not fit for purpose. I would have
thought that such a heater has a ten year life and correspondingly you
should be able to reclaim 90% of it's value - or alternatively get a
replacement for 10% of its price.

If you're willing to take them to the small claims court

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:33:25 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message
,
robgraham writes
On 25 Jan, 17:18, Lino expert wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

If it has just gone out of guarantee, you still have a claim against
the manufacturer on the basis that the equipment has not lasted it's
expected life and therefore is not fit for purpose. I would have
thought that such a heater has a ten year life and correspondingly you
should be able to reclaim 90% of it's value - or alternatively get a
replacement for 10% of its price.

If you're willing to take them to the small claims court

That's not necessary . Just quote the SOGA to them and explain that
such an item is expected to last a certain amount of time altho' in
this particular case we do not know how old the item is .I am sure in
the first place a polite letter or e-mail to Dimplex explaining the
situation will get a helpful reply