Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom heater pull cord

In article ,
Lino expert writes:
On 25 Jan, 18:14, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:18:19 -0800 (PST), Lino expert

wrote:
A friend has a bathroom heater on which the cord won't stay "pulled",
in other words, it will pull down but not click and be held in the
"on" position.
Electrician time, or is there anything that can be done oneself?
BTW, typically, it's just gone out of guarantee.

It will just need a replacement switch .You could contact the manfrs
and ask them if spares are available and get a replacement and fit
it.If not then take the switch out and search the Internet for a
replacement ,,,Maplins etc etc .

Thanks, useful to know it's something that can be done by anyone.

I wouldn't bet on the switch being a replacable part. It's not in
the few I've looked in over last ~20 years. I modified a Dimplex
one I bought ~20 years ago so the switch operated a contactor,
and that's still working fine. That one had plenty of space for
the contactor inside as other variants of it had either a light
or a shaver transformer inside, and this one just had an empty
compartment. In some more recent ones, I make a point of not
using the pullcord and switch them on/off at the FCU. The
pullcord switches in them seem to have a rather short life.

--
Andrew Gabriel