John Borman

Default Solution for a noisy pull cord.......

Hi,
Firstly Hope everyone had a merry xmas.

A friend of mine has asked if I know any alternative for the bathroom light
pullcord, his room is next to the bathroom and apparently keeps getting
woken by people turning the light on, don't ask me he must be a light
sleeper.

Anyhow my only suggestion was a movement sensor are these suitable for
bathroom? or is there a pull cord that doesn't make that annoying click

Thanks for any help

Owain

"John Borman" wrote
| A friend of mine has asked if I know any alternative for the bathroom
| light pullcord, his room is next to the bathroom and apparently keeps
| getting woken by people turning the light on, don't ask me he must be
| a light sleeper.
| Anyhow my only suggestion was a movement sensor are these suitable for
| bathroom? or is there a pull cord that doesn't make that annoying click

"Dimpull" a cord-operated dimmer. www.tlc-direct.co.uk do them.

Owain

burbeck

hi john,
the easiest solution is fit an ordinary switch out side the bathroom
door. an ordinary switch is not suitable for bathrooms so out side the
door to comply with regs
regards
bob
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:36:06 -0000, "John Borman"
wrote:

Hi,
Firstly Hope everyone had a merry xmas.

A friend of mine has asked if I know any alternative for the bathroom light
pullcord, his room is next to the bathroom and apparently keeps getting
woken by people turning the light on, don't ask me he must be a light
sleeper.

Anyhow my only suggestion was a movement sensor are these suitable for
bathroom? or is there a pull cord that doesn't make that annoying click

Thanks for any help

Stefek Zaba

burbeck wrote:
hi john,
the easiest solution is fit an ordinary switch out side the bathroom
door. an ordinary switch is not suitable for bathrooms so out side the
door to comply with regs

Though regs creep is almost always in the direction of increasing
restrictions, bathrooms is one area where they've become more permissive
in certain ways. What Bob wrote used to be the simple and entire truth.
These days, "ordinary" plateswitches are permitted PROVIDED they're out
of reach of bath or shower - Zone III or Outside-The-Zones, which if I
remember correctly means at least 600m from the nearest edge of any bath
or shower; and should be of a 'suitable' type for the prevailing
conditions (i.e. an ordinary plateswitch would be OK if it's not at all
likely to get splashed, but if there's a showerhead which might splash
about then an IPx5+ switch would be sensible).

That's from memory - google about for definition of the Bathroom Zones...

HTH - Stefek
Chris J Dixon

John Borman wrote:

A friend of mine has asked if I know any alternative for the bathroom light
pullcord, his room is next to the bathroom and apparently keeps getting
woken by people turning the light on, don't ask me he must be a light
sleeper.

Anyhow my only suggestion was a movement sensor are these suitable for
bathroom? or is there a pull cord that doesn't make that annoying click

Like I said last time this was asked (doesn't anybody spend a
while on Google first?)

This is actually a dimmer, which I know you didn't specify

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/Dimpull/index.htmlThanks.

It has a really quiet click, and does what is says on the box.

Chris

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Sparks

John Borman wrote:
Hi,
Firstly Hope everyone had a merry xmas.

A friend of mine has asked if I know any alternative for the bathroom light
pullcord, his room is next to the bathroom and apparently keeps getting
woken by people turning the light on, don't ask me he must be a light
sleeper.

Anyhow my only suggestion was a movement sensor are these suitable for
bathroom? or is there a pull cord that doesn't make that annoying click

Thanks for any help

The easiest solution would be to replace it with a dimpull
This is a dimming pull switch, it has a microswitch inside that is very
quiet!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPCD51.html

Sparks...
:::Jerry::::

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
snip
Like I said last time this was asked (doesn't anybody spend a
while on Google first?)

The state Google groups has been in, and the mess it makes when someone
posts a reply from it, I'm not so certain wishing people use Google ATM is a
good idea ! :~(
--
Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Stefek Zaba

Karen wrote:

These days, "ordinary" plateswitches are permitted PROVIDED they're out
of reach of bath or shower - Zone III or Outside-The-Zones, which if I
remember correctly means at least 600m from the nearest edge of any bath
or shower;

Wow! That's one heck of a bathroom!

D'oh! There was me, vacilating whether to call it "2 feet", "60cm", or
"600mm" - and inbetween the alternatives I made it just about three
furlongs ;-)