Aldi Router Table

Old October 5th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Router Table

On 2007-10-05 16:14:10 +0100, Pete said:

George wrote:
"dicegeorge" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have just bought a Powercraft 1200W Router
from Aldi for 20 to use doing woodwork on my new old house.

Forget the table as their router doesn't fit it.

It does, I know :-) I would have used the router I have already
(another cheapo one) but annoyingly there's no way to lock the power on
- you have to hold the switch the whole time.

The PowerCraft one on offer at Aldi has a lock for the trigger switch,
and a separate switched socket with green and red power buttons so to
use it in the table just leave the power trigger locked on and switch
with the buttons provided.

HTH, Pete

It shouldn't have.

While this is convenient and obvious for a router table, routers that
can be hand held are no longer supposed to be sold with a switch lock.

Old October 5th 07, 08:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"gerry" wrote in message
George wrote:

snip

Forget the table as their router doesn't fit it.

Eh? The powercraft table doesn't fit the powercraft router? Are you
sure? (I quite fancied the pair for the price!)

Unless they have altered the dimensions of the routers base plate? then yes
I'm sure.

If you google this newsgroup for the last time Aldi sold their router
and table combo (a year or so back?), you'll find lots of other
incredulous posts about this.

TBH it was so bizarre I can't believe they weren't inundated with
complaints, so I'd be quite surprised if it hasn't been sorted.

David
Old October 5th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-05 18:46:57 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
"George" said:
25 is an excellant price to pay considering screwfix and other places
are selling it for 80 as a ryobi model. :-)

Mmm... Shows what it's really worth. Manufacturing cost can't be
more than a tenner.....

And shows why people shop at places like Aldi...

Owain

yeeessss.......

Old October 6th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:00:24 GMT, Lobster wrote:

George wrote:
[15 quoted lines suppressed]

If you google this newsgroup for the last time Aldi sold their router
and table combo (a year or so back?), you'll find lots of other
incredulous posts about this.

TBH it was so bizarre I can't believe they weren't inundated with
complaints, so I'd be quite surprised if it hasn't been sorted.

It was the time before the last one that didn't fit, I picked up a router
and table last time which fitted, but was held in place so loosly that I
took the table back.

Steve
Old October 8th 07, 01:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 17:20, Andy Hall wrote:

While this is convenient and obvious for a router table, routers that
can be hand held are no longer supposed to be sold with a switch lock.

Has anyone got a link to the official spec for this?

AFAIR, there's a "get out" clause on this which permits switch locks,
provided that they're not accessible when table mounted. The idea is
that a "locked on" router can be installed in the table (power off,
obviously), then controlled by an external switch on the table. The
idea of taking this router (and its evil locking switch) out and then
using it handheld (clearly a guaranteed cause of Instant Death) is a
matter for the user, not for the supply of equipment regs. It's the
same loophole that allows heavy dado sets to still be sold.

Old October 8th 07, 01:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-08 12:18:53 +0100, Andy Dingley said:

On 5 Oct, 17:20, Andy Hall wrote:

While this is convenient and obvious for a router table, routers that
can be hand held are no longer supposed to be sold with a switch lock.

Has anyone got a link to the official spec for this?

It's one of the Machinery Directive things, but I can't find the link
at the moment.

AFAIR, there's a "get out" clause on this which permits switch locks,
provided that they're not accessible when table mounted. The idea is
that a "locked on" router can be installed in the table (power off,
obviously), then controlled by an external switch on the table. The
idea of taking this router (and its evil locking switch) out and then
using it handheld (clearly a guaranteed cause of Instant Death) is a
matter for the user, not for the supply of equipment regs. It's the
same loophole that allows heavy dado sets to still be sold.

My understanding was that lock on is no longer permitted on hand held
routers and that since most can be used for either, manufacturers go
for the line of least product liability.

Old October 9th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 3:11 pm, "George" wrote:
"dicegeorge" wrote in message

oups.com...
is the router table worth getting,
or can i do most things with the router handheld?

I have just bought a Powercraft 1200W Router
from Aldi for 20 to use doing woodwork on my new old house.

Forget the table as their router doesn't fit it.
If you want the table take the router back and buy another cheap router from
screwfix or elswhere.

Just A little Note,

I just purchased a router and table from Aldi today.

They both fit together perfectly, there is also a locking switch on
the Router and a seperate switch on the Table.
They are both brilliant value for money,

If I was to criticise anything, it would be the dumb instruction
manual, but anybody with half a brain can assemble it anyway.
Hope this is of some help!

Old December 8th 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Got one today, excellent value, fitted my el cheepo Performance Power 1020
router OK. Might be a clone as there are lots of similar looking routers
with different names. Just got to make a clamp to hold the switch on but if
you can work out how to assemble this that should be no bother.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391113569.aspx

that aldi router Steve UK diy 8 October 3rd 06 01:56 PM
My ALDI router does not fit the table ! ARGHH help [email protected] UK diy 11 February 11th 06 02:25 PM
Aldi router table - more! Lobster UK diy 2 October 7th 05 10:25 PM
Aldi Router and table compatibility. Can't see how to secure the router properly? Peter UK diy 63 October 7th 05 08:26 PM
Aldi router table. Chris Bacon UK diy 8 October 6th 05 02:19 PM