Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default that aldi router

I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this
one[1].
Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm routers
are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" / 1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

Steve

[1] http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_401.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this
one[1].
Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm
routers are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" /
1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

Steve

[1] http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_401.html

1/4" routers are mainly for light duty routing and lack the punch of an
1/2" when it comes to beefy routing.
If an 1/2" was aquired then you have the benefit of both worlds.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this
one[1].
Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm
routers are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" /
1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

Steve

[1] http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_401.html

60GBP will get you this.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/hdvq

40GBP will get you this although the ebay one is better.

Cue MrRumm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

1/4" routers are mainly for light duty routing and lack the punch of
an 1/2" when it comes to beefy routing.
If an 1/2" was aquired then you have the benefit of both worlds.

Hell of a deal though for an entry level router inc 12 bits.

£20?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

1/4" routers are mainly for light duty routing and lack the punch of
an 1/2" when it comes to beefy routing.
If an 1/2" was aquired then you have the benefit of both worlds.

Hell of a deal though for an entry level router inc 12 bits.

£20?

Then wait till the Netto one, which will surface shortly at...12.99GBP lol

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this
one[1].
Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm routers
are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" / 1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

6mm has no advantages over 1/4" that I can think of, it will just make
it a pain getting cutters in future. With 8mm there are sometimes
advantages in that you can use bigger cutters than your would on 6mm.
Having said that the clearance hole on the router and the power
available soon kick in to limit the advantage much. There is also a
smaller selection of cutters to choose from with most suppliers.

More detail he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/router.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:33:14 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Steve wrote:
I'm going to need a router in a few week time, and I'm looking at this
one[1].
Googling Past discussions in here have shown comments that 6/8mm
routers are less than useful and people should be looking for 1/4" /
1/2" sizes.

Is that still the case, Or doesn't it really matter now?

Steve

[1] http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_401.html

60GBP will get you this.
http://tinyurl.co.uk/hdvq

40GBP will get you this although the ebay one is better.

Cue MrRumm

Anyone could 've guessed that. Though uk.d-i-y is a small pond it's
bound to have some influence on the market. Consequently there are
resident worthies such as JR and AH to treat the consumer with the
same level of respect as the vested interests they champion.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Anyone could 've guessed that. Though uk.d-i-y is a small pond it's
bound to have some influence on the market. Consequently there are
resident worthies such as JR and AH to treat the consumer with the
same level of respect as the vested interests they champion.

So what vested interest would that be Mike?

(The OP was asking about pros and cons of 6/8mm Vs the more common
imperial shank sizes, which I believe is what my answer was directed at)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:41:29 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

6mm has no advantages over 1/4" that I can think of, it will just make
it a pain getting cutters in future.

Thanks all, I think I will grab it as I'm unlikely to be using it much so
that price wins.

If it turns out to be trash, then it goes on ebay

Steve