Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Aldi Router Table

On 2007-10-08 12:18:53 +0100, Andy Dingley said:

On 5 Oct, 17:20, Andy Hall wrote:

While this is convenient and obvious for a router table, routers that
can be hand held are no longer supposed to be sold with a switch lock.

Has anyone got a link to the official spec for this?

It's one of the Machinery Directive things, but I can't find the link
at the moment.

AFAIR, there's a "get out" clause on this which permits switch locks,
provided that they're not accessible when table mounted. The idea is
that a "locked on" router can be installed in the table (power off,
obviously), then controlled by an external switch on the table. The
idea of taking this router (and its evil locking switch) out and then
using it handheld (clearly a guaranteed cause of Instant Death) is a
matter for the user, not for the supply of equipment regs. It's the
same loophole that allows heavy dado sets to still be sold.

My understanding was that lock on is no longer permitted on hand held
routers and that since most can be used for either, manufacturers go
for the line of least product liability.